DATA AHEAD toolkit support Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Only Access

If I try to read a file that is already opened in Excel, I got an error 5001.  Closing Excel fixes this, but is there a way to perform an open operation in a read-only mode, even if it is being accessed by another program?  At the moment the solution would be to copy the file to a temporary location, then read the temporary copy.  This solution works but can a read-only access be done that makes this work without the temporary copy work around?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,944 Views)

Hey Hooovahh,

thanks for your suggestion. Creating a temporary copy is definitely a good workaround, for now!

I just checked and it should be possible to allow read-only access to any file in the next version of XLR8 (2.1). Once we implemented it and tested it, I will let you know.

Peter

CLD | Alliance Partner | Web data storage and visualization | daq.io
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,366 Views)

Just an FYI but I found that a similar issue exists if the file is read-only, and not just already opened by Excel.  So my solution now is to try to open the file, if error 5001 then copy the file to a temp location, set it to not read-only, and then try to open that file.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,366 Views)

Thanks Hooovahh!

We appreciate your input. Read-only access has been added to our code and will be available in V2.1.

Regards

Peter

CLD | Alliance Partner | Web data storage and visualization | daq.io
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,366 Views)