cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to rename Broadcasts?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a module which has couple events created as "broadcast" (so not, request, roundtrip or request and wait for reply). When I try renaming these events then I got the error message shown in the picture below.

1984_0-1695128425170.png

I'm not sure if its just me or its there for others. Could somebody check?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(947 Views)
Solution
Accepted by 1984

The screenshot makes me wonder about a few things. Normally DQMH is using a reserved folder structure. If you created the event as "Broadcast", it shouldn't be named as "Request: something.vi". Renaming an event preserves the originally folder structure. The name of the event to be renamed should be called "Broadcast: something.vi". And you should never change the folder structure manually.

I checked renaming of broadcasts in my project and it worked well.

Message 2 of 7
(943 Views)

Yeah you nailed it. I have moved these broadcasts cause I want them to be public. I'm pretty sure DQMH broadcasts should be private, but this particular supporting module is practically used to create named broadcasts easily to solve inter-VI communciation which at this point we can't solve otherwise due to time constraints.

The rest of our modules dont have such hacky things.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(935 Views)

For me this sounds like a practical application for roundtrips: requests are public and you can use them everywhere. So why you don't call a request which returns a broadcast (roundtrip)? So your broadcast doesn't need to be public (which makes no sense at all because the source of the broadcast is always inside a module which has something to tell).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(915 Views)

Because I dont need the DQMH module to run any code for these broadcasts, I'm mostly using the module to create named events quickly. As mentioned above, I know that it should not like this, but - for this project - it is.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(908 Views)

if you can explain what your use case is, there is probably a much easier and less hacky solution.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(801 Views)

I have bunch of asynchronous, non-dqmh modules which needs to send messages to each other. Due to architectural reasons switching them to DQMH modules is off the table, at least for now.

I have a dqmh module dedicated almost entirely to these broadcasts. The point is that I can very quickly generate events with dqmh. I could have a non-dqmh, maybe FGV based user event VI, but the dqmh autoscript does everything for me so I decided to take the easy road.

Remember:

"The one of you who is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at him."

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(794 Views)