DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove private requests in DQMH 7.0

Solved!
Go to solution

First: thank you for DQMH 7.0 and the super useful extensions that you made.

But when working with private requests I miss some features:

• the remove event dialogue doesn't support private requests
  • the convert event dialogue doesn't convert private requests into public requests

When I just delete private requests out of my module, I end up with some errors...

I was successful with a workaround: I moved the private request into the public requests folder. So I could use the remove event dialogue.

Message 1 of 4
(3,141 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Ludwig72

@Ludwig72 wrote:
  • the remove event dialogue doesn't support private requests

It does, you just can't remove the last private request:
priv.png

@Ludwig72 wrote:
  • the convert event dialogue doesn't convert private requests into public requests

I suggest posting this as an idea to the DQMH Feature Requests forum. 

@Ludwig72 wrote:

I was successful with a workaround: I moved the private request into the public requests folder. So I could use the remove event dialogue.

I was unable to get this workaround to work. And honestly, I'm surprised you were able to, as I would expect broken code as a result of this... the private requests are stored in a sub-cluster in the Request Events references cluster... leaving an empty sub-cluster would break the VI. I don't recommend trying this workaround, even if you are able to get it to work.

Message 2 of 4
(3,113 Views)

I had only one private request. I think that's why it didn't come up in the Remove DQMH Event dialogue.

What's the point of always having a private request that you can't remove?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,095 Views)

@Ludwig72 wrote:

What's the point of always having a private request that you can't remove?

DQMH modules do not include the scaffolding for private requests by default. In my experience, a minority of the (hundreds?) of DQMH modules I've written or reviewed use private events. So for DQMH 7.0, the DQMH Consortium decided that the scaffolding would only be added once a user actually needed a private event for his module.

The downside is that this scaffolding can't support zero private events, mainly because of what I described before, where there is a sub-cluster of event references for private events. You can't have an empty cluster in LabVIEW.

The DQMH Consortium could invest time in adding scripting code that would remove the private event scaffolding if you decide to remove the last private event (which you had previously added) to a module. They decided, at this time, it wasn't worth the investment. Mainly because of how infrequently private events are used, and also how infrequently events are removed.

Feel free to post a feature request to have the ability to remove the last private request that had been added to a module. As with all feature requests, the DQMH Consortium will weigh the popularity of the idea with the work required for implementation, and make a decision.

The current workaround is to leave the last private event alone, and just not use it.

Message 4 of 4
(3,077 Views)