cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Module error handling rationale

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Delacor,

I am curious to understand why the error handling in the Stop Module VI has been designed as it is now. In particular, see here:

carlod80_0-1587480294477.png

If the Error In carries an error, then the Module Main Info VI will report (incorrectly) that the module is not running, whereas it is, and as a consequence, the Stop Module will not stop the module even if its actually running.

Therefore, to ensure that the module is stopped even in the case of an error, one must first clear incoming errors, place the Stop Module VI, and then merge back the upstream errors.

What is the design decision behind this? Wouldn't it be better if the Module Main Info reported in any case the correct execution status so that the module is safely closed in any case if it was running?

There is probably something trivial I'm not seeing here, please don't bite me!

Thank you!

Carlo

Message 1 of 4
(2,776 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author carlod80

Hi Carlo,

This is a good catch and aligns with the feature request from Brian Powell:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/tac-p/4033917/highlight/tr...

If you agree with him, please add a Kudo to that idea.

My guess on why we overlooked this is that as we show on the API Tester, we tend to put a clear error before the Stop Module.vi. Given what you describe above and Brian's request. I agree that we should revisit the error handling in the Stop Module.vi

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have filed DQMH-677 in our system to address this in the next DQMH release.

Thanks for your trust in DQMH and in our team and thanks for bringing this up to our attention. It is feedback like this that continues to make DQMH better.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 2 of 4
(2,708 Views)

Thanks Fab for the quick and clear feedback, and sorry for overlooking the existing feature request (this is the second time you catch me on this... 🙂)! I have placed my kudos as you suggested!

Carlo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,669 Views)

@carlod80 wrote:

Thanks Fab for the quick and clear feedback, and sorry for overlooking the existing feature request (this is the second time you catch me on this... 🙂)! I have placed my kudos as you suggested!

Carlo

Nothing to be sorry about! We are looking into a better process to place feature requests. It is easier for me to identify what is new and mention it than it is for you to go and scan all the requests.

Thanks again for reaching out,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,654 Views)