Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the NI-6534 internal clock be made external so other devices can see it?

I am using an NI-6534 Digital I/O card to output 16 bit words (originally from a data file) to an external device - a star occultation detector.

I wrote code that successfully writes the data out Port 0 using the internal clock on the 6534 card.  We have to write the data out in a periodic way.

However, the external device needs to read in the data and relies on a clock external to it to do that. So I'd like to present the 6534 internal clock onto one of the output lines.

Is this possible? If so, what calls/parameters woudl you use?

I'm using NIDAQ 8.02 on an OpenSUSE 11.3 system.

thanks

Gregg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,566 Views)

Hi Gregg,

I believe that you can export your timebase to your other device. 

Do you know whether your 6534 is a PCI form factor or a PXI? If your device is a PCI card, you can export your timebase or sample clock through the RTSI lines. If the device is a PXI card, the 6534 uses PXI trigger line 7 as the RTSI clock line.

In order to see what specific lines you can route your timebase through, I would refer to the Device Routes Tab in MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer). This is what it looks like:

device routes.PNG

I also found that page D-10 of the manual also talks about routing clock sources. The manual can be found here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371464d.pdf

Hopefully this information is helpful!

Leah

Message 2 of 3
(5,545 Views)

Looks like the clock is output on the REQ pin. I certainly know our PXI 6533 implicitly outputs the clock on a pin without any routing required. Else you can use route signal to explicitly route the signal as the post above mine indicates.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,456 Views)