Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My specific applicatipn

Hi,

I am a student in CSU Northridge.

We have ordered NI PCI 1424 and PCIe 6537 boards for our specific application.

Application: We are trying to collect data from an APD array of 4*4 and then store it in PC by using these cards and some other circuit.

Q: I wanted to find a solution to configure these boards.

I have to collect 16 frames (4*4) 16 pixels each at a speed of 8MHz.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,515 Views)
Hello, I am not very familiar with APD arrays. What kind of data do they output? The PCI 1424 is for RS-422/TTL or LVDS/TTL (parallel digital) cameras. It is programmed using the NI-IMAQ drivers. To continuously acquire frames you would use a Ring or Grab command. The PCIe 6537 is a high speed digital I/O board, which is programmed using the NI-DAQmx drivers. You would use a DAQmx Read function to get data from it. If you are using LabVIEW, examples of how to acquire data using these devices are available in the Example Finder. If you provide more information about exactly what you are trying to do with these boards, then I may be able to provide more specific help. -Christina
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,497 Views)

We are going to collect the anlog data from the APD array and convert it to 8 bit digital data(each pixel) and store it into a memory. From the memory we are going to store it into the PC using these cards. We are going to store the data in burst of 16 frames. Can you provide me with some examples related to this.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,464 Views)

Although we're glad to help guide you with an application, the best place to look for examples is the Example Finder as Christina mentioned.  You haven't even told us which software you are programming in but assuming you're using LabVIEW, you can open the Example Finder by going to the Help menu and selecting Find Examples...

From there, you can find examples that relate to the two cards.  Examples for the 1424 are under Hardware Input and Output»IMAQ»High Level. In here are HL Grab and HL Sequence examples which both sound  like they will accomplish your goal of acquiring a series of frames.  Similarly, examples for the 6537 can be found under Hardware Input and Output»DAQmx»Digital Measurements or Digital Generation.  You haven't explained how you're using the 6537 so I cannot make any specific recommendations about the examples here.

Start by looking through these examples and let us know if you have specific questions about using them.  If you do, you still need to provide more information to us.  For example, you've told us that you're acquiring an 8-bit image which explains using the 1424 but how are you using the 6537?  Is it related or are you doing something completely unrelated with it?  The extent of your application is still unclear.

Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(3,431 Views)