Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication Thru serial port using microcontroller as DAQ device

I m working on a project related to power factor improvement using PIC18. I want to transfer the digital data 4m the controller to my desktop PC using the serial or usb port. also i want to control and monitor certain parametres thru labview+PIC18 microcontroller. I am using PIC18 as the DAQ device not usb 6009
Is this possible?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,634 Views)
Not sure why you posted to the digital I/O board but yes, what you want to do is possible. You will spend most of your time programming the pic to acquire/transmit the data as well as deciding on a command scheme. The LabVIEW side is pretty simple and you have a couple of serial examples to start with.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,625 Views)
well then how and where to start from??? One question more. Can I order USB-6009 free of cost??
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,609 Views)

With the pic, you would start with whatever is available at that vendor's site if you need to learn how to program it. I have not used it, so I cannot help. Trygoogle and see if there is a forum someplace where you can get support for it.

I believe that there is an academic discount but I do not believe the discount is quite that much. You should contact NI directly.

Message 4 of 5
(3,606 Views)

Hello,

You can find serial examples in the LabVIEW Example Finder located at Help >> Find Examples.  When this opens, double click  Hardware Input and Output >> Serial.  Basic Serial Write and Read will be a good place to start for you PIC program.  The idea is that you will be reading and writing commands to your PIC controller using LabVIEW and your serial interface to do this.  You will have to contact the manufacturer for a programmers manual or a list of commands to use.  As for the 6009, you should call (888) 280-7645 to speak with a sales representative.  They can let you know any academic discounts that you may qualify for.  

Regards,
Jim Schwartz
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,587 Views)