Discovering and Imaging the Device

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoboRio v1 Unable to download image to target

We have a roboRio v1 that keeps failing to "format" with the 2022 image.

P/N 155213D-01L

S/N 305CDA1

It has Firmware v6.0.0, and a 2015 image.  It fails every time to format the 2022 image.

We are running as Administrator, we have disconnected all I/O pins, we tried using "safe mode", tried using 2 different computer...it seems to fail always at the same point in time.

We have updated other roboRio without problems, it's just this one unit not liking the 2022 image. 

About 50% into the progress bar, and we get this error:

Unable to download image to target.

Possible reason(s):

NI System Configuration: System failed to restart after the hard drive was formatted.  The system is in an unknown state.  You may have to manually restart the target.

All I read about this problem points to USB recovery, let me know if there's anything we can try.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,731 Views)

Hey jgiovann, thanks for using the NI forums.

Hopefully we can recover the device with the following steps:

1. Connect the roboRIO to your computer by USB
  2. Start the roboRIO in safe mode
  3. Locate your device in an application called NI MAX (should show up below "Remote Devices")
    1. If you do not have it installed, please use this download: NI CompactRIO (use version 21.0)
    2. Re-run the FRC Game Tools installer after installing this driver to ensure your system remains configured for FRC.
  4. From there you should be able to upgrade the firmware of the device to the latest one: Upgrading or Downgrading Firmware on an NI Linux Real-Time Device 
  5. Once the firmware is flashed, try to image the roboRIO with the imaging tool.

Let us know your result,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,670 Views)

I sent you a message with the instructions for the USB utility.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,667 Views)

Could you possibly send this to me too?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,648 Views)

I'll chat with you in the thread you created rather than mixing things in here in duplicate.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,645 Views)