Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe-6509 registry level programming

I'm re-designing an application that used PC-DIO-96 and PC-DIO-24 boards in a DOS PC to communication with a custom built hardware box.  I believe the boards were used to control solid state relays in the box.  I've found the original code (in BASIC) and values were written to port registers.

We are replacing the PC-DIO boards with PCIe-6509 cards in Windows 10 system and want to develop the new application in LabVIEW.  Do I still need to read/write to registers or can I read/write  to ports?

If I must use registers then does that mean I must use the MHDDK?  If so, the objects are not listed as Win10 camptible http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALMHDDK/US

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,448 Views)

Hi faustina-

If you're making a new application with new hardware in LabVIEW, I would encourage you to use the NI-DAQmx driver.  You do not need to re-create the register-level access to this hardware unless there was a specific reason that it was done in your BASIC application in the past.  NI-DAQmx and LabVIEW fully support Windows 10 and also provide a higher-level, easy to use API for accessing lines and ports on the hardware.

Check out NI-DAQmx for LabVIEW and the examples for digital I/O (found in Help>Find Examples under the Hardware Input and Output>NI-DAQmx folder).

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,406 Views)