Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

externally triggered data acquisition on E series troubles

I am having trouble getting my 6071E triggered acquisition, and suspect the problem is somewhere in my (linux) driver...maybe some bits that need to be set are not being set...
I can acquire data just fine if the acquisition is NOT triggered externally. But when I try to acquire data using a rising-edge trigger input into PFI0/TRIG1, the acquisition never starts--the program just hangs until I termiante it with good old C-c (I am positive the trigger pulse arrives at PFI0/TRIG1...which I understand from the DAQ-STC manual to power up as an input.)
Here are the bits I set for post-triggered externally triggered acquisition (following the DAQ-STC Tech Ref Manual)--can anyone tell me if I'm completely mi
ssing something, or setting a bit incorrectly?:
AI_Configuration_Start =1;
AI_Trigger_Once =1; (don't want retriggerable acquisition)
AI_START1_Select = 1; (for PFI0/TRIG1)
AI_START1_Polarity =0; (for rising edge trigger)
AI_START1_Edge =1;
AI_START1_Sync =1;
AI_Configuration_End = 1;

A few other things worth mentioning: the pulse being input into the 6071E is coming from the NI 6071E itself (GPCTR_0), or the NI 6602.
When I set AI_START1_Select to 18 (the GRPCTR_0 signal) I still encounter the same problems with the data acquisition never starting
I am actually using comedi, not DDK (is that sacreligious in this forum? 😃 ). For those of you familiar with comedi: I ran the demo programs for acquisition (/comedilib/demo/mmap). It works fine with TRIG_NOW, but TRIG_EXT just makes the program hang...

Any ideas on how to make my triggered acqusition work?
Has anyone had success with DDK (and/or comedi) with triggered acquistion?
thanks much for your help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,482 Views)
ok, so i sort of answered my own question...nothing seems to be wrong with the driver afterall...but i seem to be able to trigger acquisition on PFIs other than PFI0. why that is the case i haven't the slightest clue...
but for now, the register settings above do allow for externally triggered data acquisition
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,482 Views)
PFI0 is also used for analog triggering. So you will need to disable analog triggering before you can use PFI0 as an input.

This is a difficult bug to identify because it appears to work correctly on boards without analog triggering, and then appears to break when the same code is used on a board with analog triggering ability.

This is covered in Chapter 10 Misc. Functions of the STC Technical Reference Manual.
Message 3 of 3
(7,482 Views)