FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get software demos to run on cRIO II

The demo project for servos worked perfectly on our old cRIO (8 slot) controller but when we tried to run the same demo on our new cRIO II the servo would not work.  I recall in the past that the demos expected to see the digital module in slot 3 of the cRIO and if we move it to another slot, the software did not work.  So do i need to inform the demo VI about which slot the DIO module is mounted?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,642 Views)

I think that, starting last year, slots are no longer referenced absolutely but rather logically. That is the slot that should be specified is digitial module slot 1 and the digital module should be installed in slot 2.

Hope this helps!

geoff

--
Geoff Schmit
Huskie Robotics, FIRST Team 3061 Lead Mentor
http://team3061.org/
@team3061
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,116 Views)

Geoff is correct.  The references to the particular module/slot number are now hidden to avoid confusion.  However, this now means that the exact three modules must now be placed in the exactly correct three slots.  So that module should only work with the code in the one given slot.

Ryan C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,116 Views)

So - if I follow the replies from geoff and Ryan-C, in the past, the WPI library had a user defineable slot address for each module in the 8-slot cRIO.  Sort of "Slot #" + "Module #" + "Sensor #" type address.  There were default values but they could be overridden.   Today, the slots are pre-assigned absolutely (what geoff calls "logically") so that Analog must be in Slot 1 or Slot 5, Digital in Slot 2 or Slot 6 and Solenoid in Slot 3 or Slot 7.   Slot 4 and Slot 8 are optional for a second module though it is not clear how either the WPI library or the cRIO library knows exactly what kind of sensor lines are in the extra slot.

So back to the original posting - we have observational data that the Demo codes supplied with LabView for the Servo using Digital module 1 and PWM port 3, jumpered to 6v works in our older cRIO (8 slots) when the digital module is in slot 3 as it has always been in that cRIO but the demo code does not work with the same Digital module and PWM port when the module is installed in slot 2 of a cRIO II.  Is it possible that the demo codes need to be updated to be able to find the servo on DI-1 in Slot-2?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,116 Views)

It depends which version of the cRIO image and the default project you are using.  For both controllers are you using this years image and this years default robot code?

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,116 Views)

Yes - we reimaged the old unit and the new unit with 2013 image.  I believe that there is something not up-to-date in the servo demo software.  We have written VIs to drive other devices on the PWM ports and they are working but the servo demo code that we were able to  use last year does not drive a servo.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,116 Views)

Just a guess, but do you have the jumper in place on the digital side car corresponding to the port for the servo? I know we've forgotten that before and drive ourselves crazy!

--
Geoff Schmit
Huskie Robotics, FIRST Team 3061 Lead Mentor
http://team3061.org/
@team3061
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,116 Views)