FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabVIEW 2013 with/over other versions

Can LabVIEW 2013 coexist with LabVIEW 2010 for LEGO Mindstorms? If not, do I need to totally uninstall one before installing the other? Any plans to allow the two to coexist (our team particpates in FTC and FRC)

A related, but different question: Can LabVIEW 2013 coexist with LabVIEW from last FRC season? If not, what is the preferred way to install 2013 - update or delete the old and install the new. Will projects created under the old version work without modification under 2013?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,612 Views)

All versions of LabVIEW should be able to coexist without issue.  If you had LabVIEW 2012 already installed and then installed FRC 2013 then your regular LabVIEW install would turn into LabVIEW for FRC but as long as they are different versions of LabVIEW everything should work fine.  Your projects should open without modification.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,090 Views)

Kevin,

So, I just want to make sure I understand.

I do NOT need to unstall Labview FRC from 2012 season before I go through the 2013 FRC/Labview install.  Correct?

AND ...

... that the existing install will simply turn into the 2013 installation.   Correct?

This is a bit different than saying that they should coexist.  It implies that when I start that the new install version will start in a different way (with a different shortcut or executable).

However, at the presentation I went to a month ago, we were told that the version was NOT changing and that this year's version is the same as last year's as if they it would install in-place (writting over the existing version).

That's fine if you say so, but I do know that last year's version of Labview/FRC software would NOT correctly install without first erasing every indication that Labview had ever been on the machine before you could re-install it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,090 Views)

You do not need to uninstall LabVIEW FRC from the 2012 season.

This is a new version so they will install side by side - you will see an .exe for LabVIEW 2011 (which is last years FRC 2012) and LabVIEW 2012 (which is this years FRC 2013).  This will not write over the previous version so if space is tight you can uninstall the old version.

Your install experience where you had to uninstall everything beforehand is not typical and should not be necessary either this year or last year.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,090 Views)