FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Cypress sensor board stopped working

We have been using the Cypress sensor board for some time now.

We are reading two center off switches meaning that we are attached to 4 DI connections.

Everything has worked correctly.

Today we mounted the Cypress on a piece of wood and made a "neat" connection of the two switches we want to use.

We went to another site where our robot is and the Driver Station no longer shows that the Cypress is attached.

We tried the Classmate and two other laptops and the Cypress will not work.

I got home where it is quiet and plugged the Cypress into my laptops USB port and I could hear the laptop make the usual "clunk" sound that it does when you plug something into a USB port.

However, when the Driver Station us up and running the "clunk" sounds repeat themselves every couple of seconds.

Does anyone have an idea of what happened?

Did we accidentally  bounce the Cypress to hard?

Please help.  We only have one Cypress and a short time to test.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,080 Views)

I can think of a couple of things to try.

First, when your Cypress is plugged into the classmate with the Driver Station running, try pushing the button on the Cypress board.  If one of the red LEDs on the Cypress lights, it means the DS has not communicated with the board yet.  This can happen with DS update 1.0 - there can be another file missing besides the nicyapi.dll that causes communication failure.

Second, (the fix) you should install the latest DS update 1.1:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/lang/en/id/1535

The installers have been fixed, so files don't accidentally get deleted.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,636 Views)

My story, continued from my first post.

The next morning the Cypress sensor board was working without anything done by me.

Last night I installed the new LabVIEW and the new Driver Station software.

The Cypress sensor board is not working again.

I hear the continous "clunking" mentioned above.

I press the button on the board and the red LED labeled 2_1 comes on.

What now?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,636 Views)

The original Driver Station 1.0 and FRC LabVIEW 2.0 updates had an issue where, depending on install order, these two files could get deleted:

Program Files\Cypress\Programmer\3.10\Service\ftk_3_simfw.hex

WINDOWS\system32\nicyapi.dll

You could check to make sure you have these files.  The latest updates should fix this problem, so if you installed them you should have these files.

Your mention of "continuous clunking", and the fact that it sometimes works, makes me think it is not an installer issue.  I suspect it has something to do with the "clunking" - the system is trying to establish communication with it.  You might try plugging it into the other USB port on the classmate.  If you are using the USB hub, maybe try changing its location in the hub.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,636 Views)