FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO power lights on, no ethernet lights, cRIO dead?

The power lights on the cRIO come up, there is 12 volts into the cRIO. We've tried multiple switches, routers, and computers (and used the reset switch): no connection lights on the ethernet port and the cRIO does not respond to a ping. We've also disassembled the cRIO and cleaned the main board. Is it time for a replacement? We have a FIRST competion in 2 days so we need to resolve this issue quickly....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,461 Views)

Have you recently changed your battery, because while we were at competition we were getting the same problem, and it was saying we had the full 12 volts, but when we changed out the battery everything was fine, and went back to working order.

Message 2 of 6
(3,098 Views)

I would try the new battery first, after that I would try do an IP Reset, and then try to boot the controller in safe mode. If you still don't get ethernet status lights when connected to a network in safe mode after IP Reset then you may need a replacement cRIO. You can call into NI support to get an RMA for your current cRIO but if your competition is in 2 days you will probably need a loaner for the competition. Which competition are you going to? We will have representatives at the Michigan and Mid Atlantic Regionals this week.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
Message 3 of 6
(3,098 Views)

We're going to the Mid Atlantic Regionals and we've found a spare from one the other local teams to hold us over. Would one of the NI reps like to take a look at the controller? Have them drop by 2016's pit and ask for Lee....

We're using the 4 slot cRIO, it doesn't have the hardware switches (safe mode, reset ip, etc). I'm assuming that using the reset switch would at least fire up the ethernet port so that we can use the Imaging Tool to get ourselves going again. Basically, we're using a known good ethernet cable between the cRIO and a known good port on another device (computer/switch/router). Neither the ethernet lights on the controller or the other etherent device are lighting up which indicates to me that somehow we fried the etherent connection.  I've also tried a 24V/5A power source to make sure power was not an issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,098 Views)

Hey Lee,

Our NI Rep at Mid Atlantic-Scott said he would stop by in the morning on Thursday. You can still put the cRIO in safe mode with the reset button (hold down for 5 seconds, release then hold down for 5 seconds again). I would give that a shot and see if it help.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
Message 5 of 6
(3,098 Views)

Using that reset switch sequence, it seems to have gone into "safe mode": the status light has a three blink sequence (previously, it was solid off). However, the ethernet ACT/LINK light and the 10/100 light are still not on. The switch I'm using also does not show any lights for that connection. I'll run it by Scott on Thursday, but I think we'll need an RMA 😞

Thanks for your help!

Lee

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,098 Views)