Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Broken Links

Someone replied to a thread of mine that two of my links are broken.  Here is the thread, and here are the two links that used to go somewhere, but now don't. Link 1, Link 2

Information on how to do anything can be scattered around the internet.  So when I take the time to find resources and link to them, only to have their content go away, it wastes my time and frustrates me.  NI can you please stop breaking links to articles, white papers, and general knowledge?  It would make it a better user experience if you did.

Also I've seen broken links more frequently on the forums lately.  What is the best place to report them?  NI do you have tools that can find links on the forums that don't work any more?

Message 1 of 47
(3,178 Views)

Hi @Hooovahh,

Thanks for your feedback. I did some searching and I think these two links would replace the ones in your thread. If these are right, I can edit your thread:

1. https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/ni-xnet/page/nixnet/nxpropsession_intfbaudrate64.html
  2. https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/ni-xnet/page/nixnet/propertyclustercan64bitfdbaudrate.html

The documentation project is ongoing and there is an acknowledgement that the broken links from the transition are a problem. There were on the order of 500k links so it was a real challenge to capture all of them with redirects. There is an ongoing project to address it.

Let me know if you would like me to edit your post.

Thank you,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 47
(3,134 Views)

@markwni wrote:

Let me know if you would like me to edit your post.

Please do, I hope that you don't have to manually fix 499,998 more links.  Any others I find I will try to post here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 47
(3,112 Views)

Thanks @Hooovahh 

I have updated your post. 

"I hope that you don't have to manually fix 499,998 more links." - we are looking at more automated ways to identify and fix them vs manually fixing all of them.

Best,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 47
(3,106 Views)

Hi Mark,

I just searched for information on "TCP-2230" due to a question in the LabVIEW forum.

I found the "TPC-2330 Getting Started Guide and Specifications (last actualization: 2022-11-03)" on NI's website, which shows:

When you go to "ni.com/manuals" and try to find any manuals for "TCP-2230" it finds: nothing…

(That manual shown in the image is just 4½ years old!)

There's more work than just to fix some links…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 47
(3,049 Views)

Hi @GerdW 

I think you had a misspelling in your search term. I searched for "TPC-2330" based on that image and found a getting started guide. Is that what you were looking for?

Thanks!

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 47
(3,037 Views)

Hi Mark,

ok, there I misspelled the search term.

But this is what it looks like for me when using "tcp-2230":

When I switch to the English content ("Weitere Ergebnisse sind verfügbar in Englisch." -> "more content is available in English") then I also get the GettingStarted PDF presented.

But:

• Why is the German search not showing all content by default, even it is not in German? That's irritating, at least for me…
  • I already presented a snippet of that GettingStarted PDF, where it mentions to search for a UserManual - but that is not existent anymore as it seems! That's my complaint about "broken links": there is a GettingStarted PDF last updated on Nov. 3rd 2022 (according to the search result list!), but it gives links to non-existent manuals…
Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 47
(3,026 Views)

Hi @GerdW,

Those are good questions to which I do not know the answer. I have forwarded your concerns to the docs team.

Thank you,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 47
(2,991 Views)

Hi Mark,

another example of "broken links":

Reading this KnowledgeBase article gives two links to "In Port" and "Out Port" function description in the LabVIEW (online) help.

When following those links I end up with this page:

Why do I end up on the entry point of the current LabVIEW help version when those links promise to bring me to specific function help articles?

This KB article claims to be just ~1 year old…

In summary: "No, this information is NOT helpful!" ("War diese Information hilfreich?")

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 47
(2,837 Views)

Someone asked how to know if a VI is in a subpanel.  Previously there was a link to an example VI that showed how to do this.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FB79ED8B6D07257B86256E93006E31FA

This is now dead, and the wayback machine appears to show the page, but the VI isn't available.  I do have some code from that page saved so I don't need it, but other users might want this information.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 47
(2,733 Views)