FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure a compact Fielpoint to time server IP (LabVIEW 2013, cFP-2220, NI Fieldpoint 6.1, MAX 5.5.1)?

Hi all,

in old MAX versions there was a field, where one can type a time server computer's IP number to synchronize a Fieldpoint controller. How I can perform that in new environment? I can't find it neither in MAX, nor in system configuration.

Thank you,

Armen

Message 1 of 3
(6,459 Views)

Hi Armen,

I have suggested the following to one of my customers who had brought this up.

The Time Server option will not be available in MAX 5.5, but may be readded in the future versions. But, there is a work around for this, where you can set the IP address of the Time Server to the cFP.

1. Open Windows Explorer>>Type ftp:\\10.X.X.X (IP address of the cFP) in the address field >>Enter. This will open a window that displays the files on the cFP.

2. Now, you will find ni-rt.ini file here, copy and paste it on your PC desktop.

3. Open this ini file on the desktop using notepad and you will find Time_Server=10.0.0.1. So, change this to the IP address of the Time Server that you will be assigning. Save and close the ini file and copy and replace it in the cFP files, where you originally copied it from.

4. Restart the cFP by right click the cFP in MAX>>Restart.

5. Now, the cFP has been assigned the Time Server.

6. Start the NI Time Service on your PC by following the information in the Help Tab in MAX>>Remote Systems>>select cFP detected.

I have confirmed that the Time Server has been assigned to the cFP.
Firstly, I did the above procedure and set the Time Server using my PC, which has MAX 5.5.
Then, I have a Test PC with old MAX 4.6 and related cFP drivers. Here, when I opened the detected cFP I can see the Time Server under the Network Settings Tab, which was configured with the IP address I have set in the ini file. So, this proves that this works.

So, kindly try the above and see if this helps to resolve the issue you are observing.

MK

Message 2 of 3
(6,233 Views)

Hi MK,

thank you very much for your answer.  This is really a case when better late than never... Of course I coul not wait more than two more months to get things running in correct way and got a support from different source. One thing is worried very much -  what happens with National Instruments support? Why I got an answer with such a huge delay? Is NI stopped any support service for FieldPoit in Discussion forum?

With best regards,

Armen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,175 Views)