cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexlogger - NI9860 CAN Transmission and Timestamp

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I am trying to set up Flexlogger 2019 R4.1 to send and receive CAN messages using NI 9860. I able to define the CAN Database for a few transmit and receive signals and was able to confirm that all the CAN messages are received as expected.

However, the issues I have are

- I am not sure how to add time stamp as the channel  in the 'Channel Specification' File so that I can plot captured signals w.r.t. time.

- I am able to configure one transmit frame but when I try to look for the signal as a 'Control' in the 'Screen' File I am not finding any configured signals. Therefore, I am not sure how else I would be able to transmit the signal.

This is my first try working with the Flexlogger so please help me get this sorted out.

The database file is attached herewith.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,678 Views)

- I am not sure how to add time stamp as the channel  in the 'Channel Specification' File so that I can plot captured signals w.r.t. time. - UNRESOLVED

- I am able to configure one transmit frame but when I try to look for the signal as a 'Control' in the 'Screen' File I am not finding any configured signals. Therefore, I am not sure how else I would be able to transmit the signal. - RESOLVED

I was able to get the second part of the issue resolved by Adding the Signal as Output(please refer the attachment).

However, I am still not sure how to add the Timestamp in the data capture

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,663 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JohnAzusa

Hi John,

Glad you were able to solve the Output part of your problem.

Can you give me some more details on what sort of timestamp details you're looking for. XNET (CAN) data is acquired and logged by FlexLogger as a "waveform". That waveform includes a timestamp to identify when the signal was captured.

If you go to the Screen tab for your project, you can drop a graph to see the t0:

flexlogger_add_graph.gif

Additionally, you can log your data to disk by hitting the Run Test button:

log_data.gif

And then double-click the log file to open it in the DIAdem TDMS Viewer, which will show you the logged  timestamps:

open_tdms.gif

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need more assistance/information.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
(4,478 Views)

Hello,

I have a question: when I see the data in DIADEM, as you said I can see the time in the Xaxis. Is it possible to obtain the information about the time of each measurement as a column to export to excel? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,453 Views)

Yes. Quickest, easiest way is to use the Export to CSV functionality in FlexLogger. You can right click an existing log file in the Data Files pane and select Export to CSV. And you can also configure FlexLogger in the Logging Specification tab to automatically export the file to CSV when it logs a new file. This file is a basic spreadsheet that you can import in Excel with a time column and values.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 5 of 6
(4,435 Views)

wow, this is amazing. I never expected a response with such clear illustrations(pics/video).

I thought that the data file will show timestamp as a separate channel but I can see now that it is part of extended properties.

Thanks for clarifying.

Message 6 of 6
(4,425 Views)