G Web Development Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GWeb Next release?

Dear NI folks,

Any info on when will be the next GWeb release? I don't see GWeb 2023 Q1 and it's already Q2.

Please also inform for the expected new features/fixes in the upcoming release.

Thanks.

Thanks & Regards,
Irfan
(CLD)
https://haliatech.com/
Message 1 of 11
(2,762 Views)

Dear NI,

In this case, No News is NOT Good News!!

Please provide feedback on Irfan's request.

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Thank you!!

James

LabVIEW 5.0 seems so long ago...
Message 2 of 11
(2,405 Views)

Hello NI,

any news about Irfan's request? We are thinking to adopt this (useful) Development Software but... what's the future for it?

Thanks!

Andrea

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,182 Views)

First, my apologies to everyone in this thread.  I actually replied several weeks ago and it looks like my post didn't get "saved".  Its my fault for not making sure the post was made.  Here is the post I had replied with.

GWeb can be used with multiple versions of LabVIEW, so while there isn't a new release, it continues to be a current component in NI's software portfolio.  It is included with Test Workflow as it is part of many test systems.  If there are specific new functionalities or improvements on existing functionality that you are looking for, please post in this thread.   I have a few co-workers who I sent this forum thread to as they are looking for people interested in giving us active feedback.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,138 Views)

Thanks for the reply. 

What we need is also roadmap like what we see in labview, what would be expected in 1 release, 2 release, and so on... 

Specific to the functionaloties and improvements, here are my wishlists:

- graphical diff

- more native/built-in controls and indicators, especially in graphs and charts (radar charts, compass, etc.)

- more property nodes

- improved graph and chart. For example, rename the x axis to text for bar graph.

- Better support for CI/CD. I'm not sure how to run the gvi/gviweb files to get list of errors and warnings via command line, so it will prevent broken file from being committed to repository.

@EricR wrote:

First, my apologies to everyone in this thread.  I actually replied several weeks ago and it looks like my post didn't get "saved".  Its my fault for not making sure the post was made.  Here is the post I had replied with.

GWeb can be used with multiple versions of LabVIEW, so while there isn't a new release, it continues to be a current component in NI's software portfolio.  It is included with Test Workflow as it is part of many test systems.  If there are specific new functionalities or improvements on existing functionality that you are looking for, please post in this thread.   I have a few co-workers who I sent this forum thread to as they are looking for people interested in giving us active feedback.

Thanks & Regards,
Irfan
(CLD)
https://haliatech.com/
Message 5 of 11
(2,113 Views)

Eric,

As you know, I've used G Web Development for customer projects for many years now, and I have many more projects that can leverage GWeb coming soon. I gave several presentations on it during international events such as GDevCon, GLA Summit and NI Week.

For every project, the real pain is always the lack of native controls and access to their essential (and more advanced) properties and events.

One thing I need to mention: IMO, not being able to define the Format String of a Timestamp control after all those years is a shame.

Other feedback from the top of my head:

- The Datagrid is nice, but I almost never use it because it misses too many important features that make it practically unusable in most of my projects.

- Datagrid controls with more data types (pictures, clickable buttons) and more customization and events (background color of a cell, mouse click/move events, etc.)

- Allow to enable Text wrapping on String fields for Datagrid

- The dropdown on Datagrid is nice, but not being able to programmatically change its possible values makes it quite useless IMO. 

- More user events in general and access to VI Server properties and methods for UI controls (closer to what exists today in LabVIEW CG)

- Programmatic access to scroll bar properties (visible, position...) for Listboxes, arrays, Datagrid controls, string controls

- Right-click on a VI > Find Callers / Find All Instances is an essential debugging tool that is still missing!

As an early and heavy user of GWeb, I've kindly been invited to the NI WEB TECHNOLOGY LEAD USER GROUP.

Almost all the feedback above, myself (and others) already gave it on that forum, sometimes 4-5 years ago already, and very few items have been implemented yet.

In summary, NI, please stop asking us for our feedback if you're not considering it. We're wasting our time! This morning, I took (again) almost 1h of my billable time to write this message, which I feel I have already written many times in the past years or wrote identical feedback on sheets of paper during CABs, etc. What are you doing with this?

I agree with Irfan that what we need now is not another post asking us for what we want. 

I'll tell you what your next steps should be:

- Review the existing forum posts on this forum and on the NI WEB TECHNOLOGY LEAD USER GROUP.

- Make a list of all the wishes and feature requests that are repeatedly asked for

- Put all of them on a Roadmap document with an ETA

- Share this document with us

Then I'll take the time again to share my feedback.

Thanks a lot for your consideration 😁

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

Message 6 of 11
(2,087 Views)

What I head from Eric Reffett …

NI is not working on or planning on any improvements for G Web.  It’s been available for years and NI is satisfied with the current user base.  Please be satisfied to know that we will continue to allow you to post your requests on our forums.  As with our other products, any requests that receive more than 10k likes may actually be considered for inclusion in future releases.

Thank you for your continued support.

I wish this were satire.

James

LabVIEW 5.0 seems so long ago...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,065 Views)

Lol, might as well say a billion likes, the most kudoed idea on LabVIEW Idea Exchange has 694 kudos...

Message 8 of 11
(1,930 Views)

I must agree with most of the points mbaudot did mention here. I was in conctact with NI support for quite some time about different bugs that a still presnent in GWeb this day. It's been over 2 years since I reported them and nothing happened so far. And as mbaudot also pointed out is the lack of absolute basic control over properties for different controls like the string control, the data grid and the list box.

I would really consider using GWeb a lot more but you almost always have to build in some horrible workarounds to achieve some very basic functionallity.

Message 9 of 11
(1,855 Views)

Jens,

i am in agree with you, of course, but for us it is very important that NI give us reassurances about the future of the product, because when a company chooses a tool it makes an investment, which is not limited to the purchase cost of the tool itself, but also, for example, to staff training, etc. We are talking about high-level products, as NI has accustomed us to over the decades, and we use them to give our customers high-level products. We cannot choose tools that will then be abandoned by the manufacturer. 

Message 10 of 11
(1,847 Views)