G#

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with G#

I am interested in learning how to use the G# tool with StarUML - I'd like to start by creating UML diagrams of existing OO LabVIEW projects.  I think I have everything setup and installed, but I was hoping you could point me to some getting started materials or a tutorial.

Thanks!

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,170 Views)

Hello Elijah!

To use the StarUML with G#you need to first install G# and G# StarUML Plug-in.

These are available fordownload at:

http://www.addq.se/gsharp/

and

http://www.addq.se/gsharpuml/

When correctly installed you can verify the installation by restarting LabVIEW and then using the menuTools -> G# IDE -> Version Information.

If both pakages has been installed, there will be version information about them there.

There is a example for UMLreverse engineering (Code to UML) in the <LabVIEW>\examples\AddQ\G# UMLdirectory called G# UML - Example.lvproj.

Basically you open your.lvproj in LabVIEW and start up StarUML. In StarUML startup choose the G#approach and then hit menu Tools -> G# -> Reverse Engineer a dialog willappear to let you choose a .lvproj to reverse engineer. Press ok, and your UMLdiagram should appear in StarUML.

Sincerely,

Andreas

Message 2 of 7
(5,103 Views)

Thank you Andreas - the example worked great.  I was able to open the example and generate the UML without problem.  Next, I'm hoping to run some existing projects through this process to generate the UML, but I seem to be having problems with the conversion from standard LabVIEW Classes to G# classes.  It appears to be working on the process, and I think it gets pretty far, but it stops here:

test.png

Any advice?  I'm using 2010.

Elijah Kerry
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,103 Views)

Hi,

First, you don't need and can not convert native value designed LabVIEW classes to G#, since it is a completly different way of how you design your classes and also the definition of an object.

If you would like to generated UML from existing value based LabVIEW classes, just "reverse engineer" the LabVIEW project exactly as you did with the example from inside StarUML.

The "Convert Classes to G#" only convert other reference based providers (even though all providers uses a native LabVIEW class as a container, but only stores a reference pointer as the native class data). All non reference based LabVIEW classes should be ignored and not be converted. However, it seems like you may have found a bug in the convertion tools, since it has stopped, that shouldn't happen. Actually we are just about to release version G# Framework 1.3.0 and if you found a new bug we would really like to take a look at it. Would it be possible for you to mail us the example code that you are trying to convert to G#?

Regards,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,103 Views)

Ah - That worked beautifully!  This is a very impressive tool.

Elijah Kerry
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,103 Views)

I'd be happy to send you the code.  What email address should I send it to?  It's only 555 KB

Elijah Kerry
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,103 Views)

Hi Eliah,

Would you mind sending your example code to me as well. We are exploring using G# at KLA-Tencor.

Best Regards,

Son Lam.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,103 Views)