Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV, Raspberry PI and MCC 128 Analog to digital converter.

I have a Raspberry pi 4B and have it set up to where I can ssh and vnc into it. I can connect to it with a LabVIEW project set up for Raspberry PI. I am able to load a modified version of the advanced blink example and operate the RP GPIO pins. I have a MCC 128 Dara Acquisition HAT installed on the RP which works with the supplied python examples. I would really like to access it from LV so I don't have to rewrite my whole application in python. Does anyone have advice on how I can get access to this DAQ board (HAT)? 

I am using LabVIEW 2023Q3

raspian VERSION="11 (bullseye)"

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(954 Views)

I'm not sure what ADC chip this card uses but it appears to have an on-board micro-controller which everything goes through. Your only option appears to be converting the supplied Python code into LabVIEW . If you need an ADC then it may be a better bet to get a HAT where you can talk directly to the chip (in SPI or I2C).

Have a look at LINX Raspberry Pi Addons from MediaMongrels.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(862 Views)

MCC has their own shared library programmed in C for their Raspberry Pi modules. Source code for those libraries is publicly shared at: https://github.com/mccdaq/daqhats

Seems, that MCC web existence has been discontinued and the entire MCC product portfolio was integrated into Digilent, another NI (now apparently Emerson subsidiary).

I did a few years back work on those MCC modules for Raspberry Pi. My solution was to recompile the shared libraries from MCC for use under the NI Linux RT system that runs as virtual machine on the Raspberry Pi for deployment of LabVIEW programs. I also investigated about using the Linx functionality itself to directly access the I2C channels on the Raspberry Pi to reimplement the functionality of the MCC shared library completely in LabVIEW, but the Linx API does not provide all the necessary access to the various Raspberry Pi hardware resources that would be required for accessing the MCC cards that way.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(854 Views)

Thanks for your help. I was considering compiling the C libraries and calling them from LabVIEW but realized this is not trivial because of needing to do it in the LabVIEW RT environment of the Pi. I think finding a supported DAQ hat is probably the least expensive option. Time is money (sometimes).

Jim Jones

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(846 Views)

Rolf,

I am interested in recompiling the provided mcc library for the labviewRT schroot environment on the Raspberry Pi. Can you point me to any information on how to configure the environment so that this can be done. I have modified the makefile so that some missing include files can be found but I am obviously missing some information I need to be successful.

Thanks,

Jim Jones

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(794 Views)