Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send string with labview to arduino - Linx

Hello,
This is my first post and my first "cry for help" - only recently I started to work with Labview

My goal (for now) is to send a string from labview to arduino [Mega2560].

I manage to control the arduino's led with a usb cable (other solution that I have is usb to ttl converter) using a very simple program - attached.

The version that I have installed is  LabVIEW 2023 Q1 Community Edition that already includes the LabVIEW Hobbyist/LINX by NI toolkit.

I know that Labview and IDE can't work at the same time

So, my question is: it is possible to send a string from labview to arduino using Linx toolkit with a - usb cable - and check if the string was received by arduino?
(At this point I don't care about what happens on labview, as long as it sends a string and I can check if it was received)

Sorry for my confusion...

thank you for your help

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,296 Views)

since you want to use LINX, i would recommend using custom commands, this way you can send bytes (from strings) and receive data in a custom command to check if the message arrived as desired..

i could not open your VI because I´m still using LV 2020. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200806103634/https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:tutoria...

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,265 Views)

Hello, thank you for your answer.

It's not that I necessarily want to follow this approach, especially knowing now that I have to develop a custom command.

I was start to try using Visa solution and, if so, try also using a USB to TTL converter. In the end evaluate what is the (best?) method.

I've attached my vi, downgrade do version 18.0 - it is a pretty simple VI. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,239 Views)

ohh and now i noticed that you are using LIFA not LINX/hobbyist toolkit. LIFA is deprecated, but it does not matter for your application.

i would recommend using a TTL USB adapter and just using visa and serial functions in your arduino code. For simplicity, lifa or linx wont help you.

since you are using mega, you can also use several software serial for debbuging.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,219 Views)

Nice, thank you.

"you can also use several software serial for debbuging"
Is it possible to do this with one single usb cable? Or is it impossible?

I have tried with Linx also

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,184 Views)

Not sure if this is any use to you, but I was generally using Arduino boards for controlling test fixtures but recently I switched to the Raspberry Pi Pico, mainly as I was interested in learning Python.

I program the Pico to accept simple ASCII commands and then return ASCII replies, allowing the use of any terminal application for control/debug. Then you can talk to the Pico device from LabVIEW using simple VISA serial port functions.

Raspberry-Pi-Pico-Python-and-LabVIEW-Drivers 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,079 Views)