Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EABO error from IBRD with Analyst software-Applied Biosystems Qtrap

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have an Applied Biosystems/AB Sciex Qtrap 2000 mass spectrometer which used an NI GBIP card for communication.  The MS is fine but when I try to acquire data, the Analyst software gives a "Failed to Acquire Data" error.

I rebooted everything multiple times, reseated the GPIB card, etc.   One clue I got was an error msg "The GPIB command <Packet.send GPIB> resulted in an EABO error."    It looks like this is a Timeout error.  I went into the AB

diagnostic software and increased the timeout from 300 msec to 1 and then 3 and even 10 secs but no dice.   I can also get the "EABO error-Operation aborted" in the AB Diagnostic software if I send an IBRD command.

Any suggestions?   Should I reinstall the gpib.sys file? Or should I go snooping with NI Spy and other NI goodies?  I can get a little under the hood with the AB diagnostic software but the main Analyst software doesnt give me anything.

Many thanks for any ideas,

-Will Jewell

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,310 Views)

I should add that this system has been working flawlessly for ~6 years and, as a matter of fact, was used ~1 hour before this error cropped up.

So it makes me think it might be a software corruption type thing or something.......

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,309 Views)

Try to open up MAX, and open a VISA test panel to your resource.  Can you use this to successfully send commands to your device?  It seems like the device isn't responding to commands anymore, and this would be a good way to check.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,296 Views)

Thanks, I was able top open up Max and communicate with the device.  I was still getting the EABO error though.   As I was burrowing around, though, I noticed that the data drive (D:) was actually completely full

as one of the users had managed to acquire a 4GB(!) data file.  I freed up some room and all was well.   So it turns out that the problem wasnt with the PCIB card or bus but that's the error I was seeing.

I"m guessing that the instrument was trying to return it's data string, Windows was saying "no way, we're full!" and so I ended up getting the timeout error.  Sound right?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,289 Views)
Solution
Accepted by wtjewell

Yeah that'd definitely be a problem.  Glad you were able to figure it out!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,284 Views)