Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a problem interfacing my Red Lion PAX with PAXCDC card to labview

I see that there was a post a while back with similar issues. It is found here

I've tried using the VI that this person wrote and I've confirmed all of my settings with the PAX, but I'm still getting errors. The main error I am see is a code -1073807339 with text VISA Read in pax.vi.

I have played with the settings on the PAX and in my code (and confirmed them to be matching) to be baud rate of 19200, 9600, and 4800, parity of none, even, and odd, node address to be both 0 and 1,  changed the data bits to be both 7 and 8, and changed the abbreviated printing to be no and yes (as well as changed my byte count on the read bit to be any value from 14 to 20). I have made sure my port and cables are functioning correctly and reinstalled the drivers for my serial to USB adapter.

I'm a fairly new user to labview, but I can't find anything to indicate what I am doing incorrectly. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

squidlet

Download All
Message 1 of 7
(4,157 Views)

Hi squidlet,

Could you post a screenshot of the error you're receiving - is there any message associated with the code? Is the error you're receiving a timeout error?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,118 Views)

Hi Courtney,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have attached a screenshot of the error I am receiving.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,111 Views)

Did you try anything with a program such as Hyperterminal, Procomm, Putty? How did you verify the cable? Doing a loopback of the cable does nothing to verify that you are using the correct type. I also noticed that there is an option for either a terminal block or DB connection. What do you have.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,102 Views)

Maybe this was the wrong thing to do, but I used a program called Device Monitoring Studio. Sent my commands through Labview which the program picked up, but got nothing in return from the PAX. After my original post I spoke with a gentleman at Red Lion and he said I actually needed a null modem cable or adapter, I have since picked one up, but I am still experiencing the same issues. I do have the DB connection. 

I know that the cables are capable of sending and receiving signal, I used them on a Pfeiffer Maxigauge pressure sensor and was able to send and receive data no problem with LabVIEW.

I'm really starting to think that my issues actually lie with the PAX rather than with LabVIEW. If you have any insight or suggestions, I am all ears. 🙂

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,098 Views)
That tool does not provide anything that NI-Spy doesn't but that's okay and the manual says you need a null modem cable.

A program such as hyperterminal is a better test tool. You could still have a problem with the transmitted data. Any mismatch in the com settings, or incorrect data, or wrong cable, can cause the timeout.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,094 Views)

I had similar issues with this device.

If you set the device to 7 data bits / 1 stop bit / no parity, you should set 2 stop bits for the VISA session.

Cordialement,

Micaël DA SILVA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,422 Views)