Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatibilities between 488.2 and DAQMx?

Hi all,

I have an Instron load frame that is connected via GPIB to a PC. Basically, I install 488.2 followed by the Instron Console software and DAX drivers, and it all works fine - the PC and load frame talk quite happily.

I also need to control some USB NI devices from the same PC, so installed the DAQMx software. On doing this, the USB stuff works fine but there is a problem with the GPIB interface - essentially, it recognizes the load frame is there (if I change the PAD switches and scan for it, it recognises the change in PAD) but the load frame no longer responds to anything (even the Instron software now crashes on loading). I'm a bit confused because the only thing that is being added is the DAQMx software, and the only thing that's being updated is the Measure and Automation software (from v4.6.2 to v4.7). The only way I can get the PC and load frame to talk now is by uninstalling all NI software and drivers and reinstalling 488.2.

I've tried installing DAQMx / 488.2 / DAX and Instron software in various orders but to no avail!

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,452 Views)

Hi,

All I can think is that the default driver for the device has changed following the installation, if you follow these steps do you have a driver from Instron that you can select?

"Go to Windows Device Manager >> Right click on your GPIB Device >> Select "Update Driver" >> Select "Browse Computer for Drivers" >> Select "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my PC"

Can you change this to a driver specific to the Instron? 

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,420 Views)

Hi rsw,

We've isolated the problem, and found it's caused by the NI PSP server service that runs once DAQMx is installed - if this is disabled on startup, the GPIB conversations are all fine. However, doing this seems to prevent the USB devices from communicating - the USB NI interface shows up on MAX, but not the connected devices (although I do get the familiar USB windows noises when I plug in or remove a device, and a hardware manager prompt says "Your new device is now installed etc.").

Is the PSP server service required for the USB devices do you know, or is this non-communication unrelated?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,418 Views)