Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instrument Driver Network- new path?

After seeing the new Rohde and Shwartz superdriver in another thread (and commenting somewhat harshly on the divergence from IDN supported technologies) I came upon the Oct 31 announcement of Agilient for the Command Expert that appears to build on the superdriver technology (and takes it MUCH further.)

After looking into the About I found an NI copywrite notice.   I'm always up for improvements- Is this an indusrty trend? will the IDN be supporting this technology driver?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,015 Views)

Hi Jeff

When I use the super URL to agilent I land on a dutch page asking me what I want to buy!

Maybe you can send a better link or did you log  in first?

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 2 of 8
(3,945 Views)

Sorry about that! the Command Expert is there<<.

the main quiestions are What benefits can be added to the current IDN technologies.  I do like the incorporation of the command documentation that the CE adds but do not like the bloated express vi approach.  With two major players pushing in new directions would a public disscussion open a new path or IDN technology that adds value to the currentt practices?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,935 Views)

If I was a user of only Agilent test equipment, I might give the command expert a try. As a driver developer and user of other vendor's equipment, I wonder if there exists the capability to add other instrument commands sets and how much time this would take. I'm not sure the time spent reproducing what is in the manual is going to be any quicker than the normal driver development time. I also don't like the idea of creating the SCPI code line by line. The current driver style encourages you to combine multiple instrument commands into a single VI (i.e. Scope Configure Vertical) and I think that in most cases, program development would be slower with command expert.

Message 4 of 8
(3,929 Views)

I see it more as documentation and help, like the lecroy scopes have, than a way of programming.

I'm busy with a way of combining IVI ideas (not programming) and a very thin layer of LVOOP with standard drivers to implement a new way of using instrument  drivers.

The first version is working but I'm taking the time to research problems and alternatives

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,911 Views)

Jeff,

We appreciate your post on Agilent Command Expert. We are always seeking input on the best ways to control their instruments with LabVIEW.

Most of our customers have told us they prefer the LabVIEW Plug and Play style of instrument drivers. These are drivers that present higher-level functionality than SCPI, and give you examples to help you get started. They include LabVIEW source code based on VISA I/O libraries, in case you need to add new functionality, or just want to learn more about how they operate. Most of the drivers on IDNet are certified by NI, and go through quality reviews and testing.

LabVIEW, of course, also supports other driver standards, such as IVI and VXIpnp driver formats.

We've looked at other technologies such as OO and Express VIs. What ideas do you have for making instrument control better in LabVIEW? What would you like to see?

Thanks,
Adri Kruger

Adri Kruger
National Instruments
LabVIEW Product Marketing
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,875 Views)

Hello Albert,

I'm very interested in your experiences using LVOOP&IVI experiences for instrument driver development. As you might know, we are keen to provide our both customers with valuable instrument drivers. I'd like to share some ideas with you. I was not able to send you a private message. Is there the chance that you'll contact me via email: tm-applications@rohde-schwarz.com?

Thanks a lot!

Jürgen Straub

Application development

Rohde&Schwarz

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,815 Views)

Hello Jeff,

I very often can read the recommendation not to use express VIs. I never read about an alternative solution for that, or did I miss something? 😉

BR juergen.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,812 Views)