Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keithley 6517B electrometer as a V-source measuring at the same time the current I or voltage V

Hi

I have access in the lab to a  Keithley 6517B electrometer, and labview 2009, and i need create an interface with labview to measure current I, voltage V or resistance, at the same time i need use the 6517B electrometer as a source of voltage or current to evaluate characteristics before mentioned, i have the necesary hardware ( Keithley GPIB KUSB-488A).

I see the examples included in the driver and in the website of keithley, but non include the output of voltage/current example. I don't have much experience, but i am able to implement what is necessary to measure, but not for configure it as voltage/current source.

The idea is to be able to measure: as example, volume resistivity or the current in prescence of a voltage (6517 as a source) and view a graph and save the data generated.

It will be great if some one can help. 

Thanks a lot for the time.

Greetings.

Ivan C.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(7,859 Views)

Hi, I have been searching about it, but I haven´t find anything like that already made.

What you can do is just add the VISA VIs with the specific GPIB commands to make it.

You can open a one of the VIs (instructions) of the driver to se how are those done.

I also asked in the in keithley, but have not get a possitive answer.

I am sorry, about it, I will keep looking but I feel that the best way it is going to be to make the VIs yourself.

Luis Elias
NI VeriStand and HIL Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(7,822 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the information, effectively, GPIB commands are needed. These commands can be found in the user manual of the keithley 6517 electrometrer.

If someone wants to VIs that I made to get an idea, I can make them available.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(7,807 Views)

Hi

Please post the vi's maybe someone can add them to the original driver after that.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(7,796 Views)

Hi.

This is my example for use the keithley 6517B electrometer with V-source and Zero correct.

The program only measure current.

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(7,633 Views)

Hi ivkicin,

You can also upload this VI to decibel.ni.com so it becomes easier to be found!!!

Regards,

Luis Elias
NI VeriStand and HIL Product Manager
Message 6 of 14
(7,628 Views)

The problem you have is solvable  by changing the dataformat. And reading the buffer instead of a single value.

It has been a long time ago and maybe some lower level vi's are missin but this is a library I used for that.

Look at the tree vi and play with it. This software is not perfect and not yet complete but see it as a first step.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(7,623 Views)

I have a Keithley 6517B, and ran the MeaswithZCorr.vi without any modification. The VI seems to execute fine and even sets the Vsource output to the correct value (tested with a DMM). However, of the two columns of data written to the spreadsheet file, the first one associated with the measured current is not changing and is fixed at

9.910000E+37 (see the following sample readout). The second column represents the time stamp values and seems to be working fine.

9.910000E+37      0.289109

9.910000E+37      0.343702

9.910000E+37      0.398109

9.910000E+37      0.452483

9.910000E+37      0.506823

9.910000E+37      0.561262

9.910000E+37      0.615847

9.910000E+37      0.670349

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(7,468 Views)

this is the overflow value, is the meter indeed measuring?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(7,457 Views)

I don't think it is measuring with the VI. However, when I set the meter to local to do

Application>Dev-char>Diode>Leakage Curr [one of the standard preprogrammed applications]

and trigger it manually then it does measure current properly.

Regards,

VGH

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(7,456 Views)