Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prologix GPIB-USB with HP4824A using vb6

Hello.

I am new to vb6 and instrumentation.

I am trying to write a software that will control the HP4284A LCR meter using vb6. The meter is connected to the PC using a Prologix GPIB-USB controller. What I do is I first send the command to the controller ++mode 1, and ++auto 1 and ++addr X.

Then in order to control the LCR meter can you please tell me as to what I need to do?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(4,660 Views)

@kozxmartt wrote:

Hello.

I am new to vb6 and instrumentation.

I am trying to write a software that will control the HP4284A LCR meter using vb6. The meter is connected to the PC using a Prologix GPIB-USB controller. What I do is I first send the command to the controller ++mode 1, and ++auto 1 and ++addr X.

Then in order to control the LCR meter can you please tell me as to what I need to do?

Thank You.

Since you are using Prologix (not NI) and HP4284A (not NI), and VB6 (not NI), why are you posting here at a NI forum????

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(4,658 Views)

I meant to say Labview instead of vb6

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(4,655 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(4,653 Views)

Thanks, but are there any non ftp links, as Im unable to download from them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(4,650 Views)

That is a tutorial page for you to get started with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(4,645 Views)

I fairly know how to use Labview, but the main problem is this Prologix Controller. I have downloaded the drivers for the HP4824A. Since this controller makes the GPIB act as a virtual serial port, what changes do I need to make in the driver in order for it to work?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(4,621 Views)

You need to get the LabVIEW examples from prologix.

Message 8 of 23
(4,615 Views)

I have the examples from Prologix too but the thing is that the HP4824A uses GPIB commands whilst the controller acts as a virtual serial port. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(4,609 Views)

And what is confusing about the example? I see that for VISA you have to append a termination character for every write. I also see a compatibility layer for low level GPIB functions that you can download and do a search and replace if the driver does not use VISA for GPIB.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(4,603 Views)