Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send GTL command through NI 488.2 Communicator

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I opened MAX and selected a GPIB instruement that I want to communicate with.  Is there a way to send the Go To Local (GTL) command to the instrument through the Communicator?  How would I send GTL to an instrument through a C program?  Do I need to use a VISA viWrite() call?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,241 Views)

Many instruments have a SCPI command to take it out of Remote mode. You may want to look at the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,234 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I read the manual before posting and there is not a SCPI command to go to local mode.  The manual only says that the instrument automatically goes to remote whenever it receives a command over the IEEE-488 bus.  I would understand how to transmit SCPI to the instrument.  I do not know how to transmit an IEEE-488 command.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,231 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author danzimmer

Did you read the help? With the communicator open, just type Help like it says. Find ibloc command. There is also detailed NI-VISA help that you simply have to open up and read. The function you would implement is viGpibControlREN. If you intend to do any programming, you have to really understand what is detailed in the help file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,228 Views)

Dennis,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  No thank you for your sarcasm and insults.  I looked in the NI Communicator help and even searched NI's website and a Google search for GTL and could not find what I was looking for.  I will try calling the function viGpibControlREN() on Monday when I am in the lab. Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,224 Views)

You're welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,220 Views)

Mr. Knutson,

As I mentioned in my opening post, I was using NI 488.2 COMMUNICATOR inside of MAX.  The help file that you posted is from NI-VISA.  I typed GTL into the Help in MAX and came up with zip.  Perhaps you should take some of your own criticism and read what someone writes before you flame them.  I have posted very few times in these forums for the simple reason that I almost always figure things out on my own.  Have a good day, sir.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,200 Views)

I actually posted the help from the NI-488 communicator as well as the VISA help. Mainly to show other people that might come across this thread that the help actually does link to the information you requested. Don't take it as a flame.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,191 Views)

@danzimmer wrote:

Mr. Knutson,

As I mentioned in my opening post, I was using NI 488.2 COMMUNICATOR inside of MAX.  The help file that you posted is from NI-VISA.  I typed GTL into the Help in MAX and came up with zip.  Perhaps you should take some of your own criticism and read what someone writes before you flame them.  I have posted very few times in these forums for the simple reason that I almost always figure things out on my own.  Have a good day, sir.

On my Windows 7 laptop, the NI 488.2 Help file through Start Menu -> All Programs -> National Instruments -> NI-488.2. The Help file is one of the items in the folder.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,175 Views)