Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solartron 1260 with 1287

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to do a voltage and a single AC impedance reading @ 1e6.  I downloaded the driver for the 1260.  Seems to be working but I cannot get my results to equal the results from the ZPlot program. 

Settings in the zplot program, Ctrl E: Sweep Freq

DC Potenital (Volts) = 0

AC Aplitude mV = 10

vs Open Circuit

Freq Sweep  Initial Freq = 1e6

final freq = 1e6

Logarithmic

I look @ the formula that it is being used on the divice.  Z1 = v1/I

If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,696 Views)

Hi tartar813,

would you be able to post your code or a screenshot so we can better understand the problem? Sound like it could be a plot issue.

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,682 Views)

Hi tartar813,

we haven't heard back from you in a couple of days, are you still having the same issues or did this get resolved. 

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,674 Views)

Sorry about that.  I will put together some things.  I have some NI-Spy dumps from both the ZPlot software and the samples included with the 1260 instrument download.

I will head down to the lab @ 3:30 eastern time, it's being used until then. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,666 Views)

Ok, I have some NI Spy files on what exactly happens when we run the test using the ZPlot software.

I would like to be able to emulate this so that I can store the data in a sql database or other location.

It's such a manual process for the people logging the tests. 

The first one I would like to do is the singlefrequency as that is the test that needs to be automated first.

Thank you in advance!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,617 Views)

With my version of NI Spy, I cannot seem to open the single frequency file, but can on the computer it was created on.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,608 Views)

Some additional screen prints from the current software package.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,598 Views)

Hello, tartar813!

Thank you for your attached files. I also downloaded the driver you mentioned, and took a look at the Solartron 1260 example you're working with.

I do have a few questions for you. First, how much do your results in LabVIEW differ from those in ZPlot? Is it off by a small margin, an order of magnitude, a set increment? Also, are you seeing the same kind of results in LabVIEW each time, or are the values changing unexpectedly?

It is likely that there is an additional GPIB command that needs to be sent to your device, perhaps something that ZPlot handles automatically that LabVIEW may not. This could be causing your undesired values. I would reccommend consulting the 1260's manual for necessary configuration commands and check that they are all present in I/O trace and/or the LabVIEW example.

Will Hilzinger | Switch Product Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,568 Views)

Attached is the labview version, the previous spys were with the zplot software running.  I know all the configs would have to be in there.

Attached is the labview version.  I think that it has something to do with not using the 1287 with the 1260.

Is it possible to browse the configuration steps etc... by utilizing the Zplot software spy to be able to mimic the test in Labview?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,554 Views)

While I'm not familiar with ZPlot's NIspy/IOTrace equivalent, I assume it would work the same way - monitoring the communication with your device(s). If this is the case, yes, it should list any configuration steps taken to initialize the boards. 

Knowing this, you could compare the two initializations to make sure all needed functions are called, yes. As mentioned, it may be easier to refer to refer to the device manual to see which functions are required, and check if they are/are not being called in the file you sent me.

Also to clarify, you are or are not working with the 1287? How much do your LabVIEW results differ from those in ZPlot? By a few thousanths? By a constant multiplier? By an order of magnitude?

Will Hilzinger | Switch Product Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,548 Views)