Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to 232 serial communication issues Mass Flow Controller

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been having issues troubleshooting serial communication from a MKS mass flow controller, MKS647C, which had been using a software handshake to communicate through a serial to USB driver. There are lots of unknowns for me here, like why is the prolific driver randomly appearing with "THIS IS NOT PROLIFIC PL2302" when yesterday it had been appearing fine. The issues with this setup occurred to the best of my knowledge when there were updates on the computer six months ago and I had to reload the driver setup. The instrument says its making use of XON/XOFF which i took from the manual to be a software handshake. Is there more settings I need to configure in device manager? I have tried reinstalling serial drivers but no luck. Any guidance on how to go about troubleshooting this would be very helpful. I have never encountered the Ni-Max error that it has found the correct resource but cannot open a VISA session, and I looked through this forum for similar errors but found none of their steps to be applicable.

Programmer not responding.PNG

Capture(1).PNG

IMG_4558.jpg

  

IMG_4557.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(195 Views)

@Andy_7 wrote:

...The instrument says its making use of XON/XOFF which i took from the manual to be a software handshake.

In your first image, change the Flow Control from None to XON/XOFF.  See if that at least helps with the communications although I am uncertain that will work due to what is connected in that wire kluge image.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 2 of 4
(152 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andy_7

What ended up working for me was: Replacing the USB to serial cable. Turns out it was a very old prolific USB to serial, which was part of the reason it would show up strangely in Device Manager.  Took me a while to get there because I thought the issue would be in the driver or LabVIEW layers. Lesson learned to not take old adapters for granted! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(81 Views)

@Andy_7 wrote:

What ended up working for me was: Replacing the USB to serial cable. Turns out it was a very old prolific USB to serial, which was part of the reason it would show up strangely in Device Manager.  Took me a while to get there because I thought the issue would be in the driver or LabVIEW layers. Lesson learned to not take old adapters for granted! 

Anecdotally, I hear a lot of complaints with Prolific based USB-RS232 adapters.  However, I have had a lot of success with a specific prolific adapter (I am unable to find the model number at the moment).  Most people seem to really like FTDI adapters.  Personally, I have had the most success with adapters from StarTech, such as ICUSB2324i which are based on a TI chip.  Granted, I get the industrial-grade adapters, so they are pricey.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(78 Views)