Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: Access to the resource or remote machine is denied.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I have a PXI-1042, and I am accessing it through remote system from a desktop computer. When I click on Open VISA Test Panel in MAX, it gives me the error 0xBFF00A8, and it says:

Access to the resource or remote machine is denied. This is due to lack of sufficient privileges for the current user or machine.

I also to try run in LabView the "Visa Find Resource" block, and it gives me the exact same error.

I tried to change a few setting in NI-VISA under software in MAX, but nothing happened.

NI-VISA 5.0.3

LabView 2010 TCP server inactive

PXI-1042 has LabView RT on it

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,011 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bladhart

I figured out what's wrong now.

I was changing the NI-VISA at the wrong location. I needed to change the VISA setting under "Remote Systems" instead of "My System".

Under Remote System > Software > NI-VISA, select security and add the desktop to the list.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,007 Views)

Hello Bladhart,

I'm struggling with the same problem but i couldn't resolve the problem in the same way. When you say add "the desktop" to the list, you mean localhost IP?, o just writing the word "desktop?

Thanks in advanced,

JCC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,904 Views)

Hi juancabera,

You should be able to either add your IP address or your computer name.  Then give yourself the permission that you want.  This is done on the VISA Options tab when you select NI-VISA on the remote system.

VisaSecurity.PNG

Regards,

Brandon V.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,891 Views)

Thanks, it was very helpful,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,886 Views)

Hello. all,

I have a PXIe 1078 and I had the same problem with the GPIB card...following the suggestions by Kracken I was actually able to enter the VISA Test Panel, but I still cannot click on "Scan for Intruments" when I select the card in MAX...

PXI GPIB.JPG

What do I do wrong???

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,742 Views)

Hi,

Have you taken a look at this KnowledgeBase? According to that, the Scan for Instruments button should be greyed out. Follow the directions in that KnowledgeBase to establish communication with your instrument.

Rohama K.
Message 7 of 8
(7,722 Views)

Thanks a lot! the link was very useful. Now, even if I cannot scan for instruments from MAX, I can use the PXI GPIB card to control my instrumentation without any problem.

Again, thanks!

Eugenio

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,705 Views)