LabVIEW Architects Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 29 Meeting topic: "Tools of the Trade", what are you going to present?

Hello all, I hope you are enjoying the spring weather in Austin.

We have picked a date for our next Architects’ forum.

date: TUESDAY March29th

where: room 1S13 at NI Headquarters

time: 6:00 PM

We are having it at the end of the month so it would not coincide with the CLA Summit that some of you will attend.

As agreed on last meeting, we will present some of the information from the CLA Summit that is not under NDA.  Besides that, we would like to keep with the intent of this forum and have some of you present. Remember the presentations are 10 – 20 minutes.

Last meeting Aaron Gelfand mentioned he would present on virtual machines. Which made Allen and I think that the next topic should be: “tools ofthe trade”. It would be great if someone could talk about what they use for source code control, project management, requirements/features/bugs tracking,etc.

For example, I have been thinking about moving from Tortoise SVN to Tortoise Hg (from Subversion to Mercurial). If someone already did the move to Mercurial or any other distributed source code control, we would like for you to share your experience with us at the meeting. Also, if someone is using VIPM (JKI’s VI Package manager) Professional or Enterprise edition, we would like to know how you are using it to handle reusable code. 

So, any takers besides Aaron? … You know that Allen and I can easily talk for 3 hours to our hearts content, but we would love to hear from you.

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(11,128 Views)

March 29 is on a Tuesday. Did you mean Wednesday?

Message 2 of 12
(5,204 Views)

Brian,

Thanks for catching that one so quickly. I edited the message. The meeting will be held on TUESDAY, MARCH 29th.

So, what are you or Jassem going to present?

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,204 Views)

Hmm, Jassem had mentioned presenting something last time on virtual machines. We'll have to follow up with him and see if he can still do that! Is he signed up to receive these messages?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,204 Views)

Brian,

I don't see him listed as a member of this community. Please ask him to sign up at: http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-architects-forum

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,204 Views)

Hi Fabiola,

I've joined  

Aaron has the vm topic - should be a great segment!  I will be out of Austin right up to the 29th, but I'll take a closer look and may still be able to present on another topic.  You mentioned possibly moving away from SVN - that's what I'm on currently.  However, if you're having any issues with it, I may be able to help you overcome those.  I have been using it successfully for quite some time now.

Also, I started a document for this meeting in our group here.  Might be a nice place to hold presentations/topics/presenters/etc.  Perhaps folks can proceed editing that document - simply copy/paste/edit a presentation bullet section - have a look here:

Meeting 2011-03-29: Tools of the Trade

We'll be in touch!

Jassem

Best,
JLSx
Sixclear
VI High - LabVIEW Programming Video Blog
Message 6 of 12
(5,204 Views)

Hi Jaseem and Welcome!

Thanks so much for creating that document, that will be a big help to keep everything sorted out. If you can make it to the meeting, it would be great if you could present on the SVN to Hg migration.

LAF members,

I asked Jim from JKI for an evaluation version of VIPM Enterprise edition, if there is interest on that, I could present on it. Or/and I could talk about FogBugz.com, that is what I use for bug/feature tracking.

Any other takers?

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,204 Views)

Hey Fabiola,

Thanks!  Just to clarify here, I don't have any experience migrating to Hg unfortunately.  What I meant to convey there was that if you were having any specific problems with SVN, I might be able to help overcome those (ie. perhaps prevent your need to switch).

Anyway, I'll help if I can there!  But I'm not in a good position to present on a migration to Hg... I'm still happily running with SVN

Best,

Jassem

Best,
JLSx
Sixclear
VI High - LabVIEW Programming Video Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,204 Views)

I am happy with SVN, but I do see the potential additional benefits from Mercurial. I was just reminded about that topic based on a post on JKI's blog: http://blog.jkisoft.com/news/learn-about-source-code-control-and-labview-web-ui-builder-at-bay-area-...

That says: "

As Joel Spolsky says: “If you are using Subversion, stop it. Just stop. Subversion = Leeches. Mercurial and Git = Antibiotics. We have better technology now.”"

Anyway, just an idea.

So, I guess Jassem, you could present on why you are happy with SVN and why everyone should be using Source Code control. Because we all know that even leeches is better than no cure at all, right

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,204 Views)

The next meeting is getting close:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15262

We have Allen and I presenting on what we learned at the CLA Summit, Aaron Gelfand will present on Virtual machines.

Jaseem,

Are you going to present on SVN?

Anyone else?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,204 Views)