LabVIEW Architects Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next LabVIEW Architects Forum Idea

Hi LAF,

I want to start by saying that the last LAF meeting was very useful.  Both of those architectures will be used by me in future developments.  Thank you presenters!

Now, I have a request for the topic of the next LAF meeting.  Instead of focusing on Architectures, could we switch gears for a moment and talk about little tools of the trade that make development of code easier / faster / more re-usable.  Some examples include:

1.  Brat VIs that people have developed which do critical things like initialize the UI (control values, window pane location, etc.)

2.  VIs found in the "vi.lib" or other "LabVIEW' folders which are useful but only if you know they exist as they are not in the palette (I have stumbled accross VERY useful little VIs in my developments when I was traversing LabVIEW examples and found a small subVI that had more use than just that one example...the problem is that it is not in the palette and not documented as available)

3.  dlls which also could be useful but are not wrapped in a LabVIEW VI curently but are available in the LabVIEW folder

4.  How to make tools show up in the LabVIEW menu bar for creating re-usable content

5.  How Veristand was created with this ability to build a UI while the VI is running

5.  Anything else that NI R&D knows about that is considered a highly useful tool that the public has access to but does not know about, which could be very useful to the core group of advanced LabVIEW Architects

Essentially the problem I am trying to get at is:  Architectures are great to learn about, but an all too often overlooked skill set is just knowing the little tricks of the trade (ie. what you can do that you don't even know exists)!

Thanks!

--

Chris Fronda
Principal Engineer | Certified LabVIEW Architect
VI Design Group, Inc.
NI Certified Alliance Partner
Mobile # (469) 767-6335
Chris Fronda

Principal Engineer | Certified LabVIEW Architect
VI Design Group, Inc.
NI Certified Alliance Partner
www.VIDesignGroup.com
Mobile # (469) 767-6335
Message 1 of 11
(12,508 Views)

> 2.  VIs found in the "vi.lib" or other "LabVIEW' folders which are useful but only if you know they exist as

> they are not in the palette (I have stumbled accross VERY useful little VIs in my developments when I was

> traversing LabVIEW examples and found a small subVI that had more use than just that one example...the

> problem is that it is not in the palette and not documented as available)

Ah, someone who has not hard of what I like to call The Greate Config VI Refactoring Debacle.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,652 Views)

> Ah, someone who has not heard of what I like to call The Greate Config VI Refactoring Debacle.

Or maybe he has heard of it, but he read (and agreed with) my response

Message 3 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Ah, Darren, you beat my estimate. I posted that and I figured I'd have at least until lunch on Monday until you replied! I didn't realize you'd be up so early. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Chris,

This is a great idea, there were others that commented on a similar topic at the last meeting and before... Other tools would be Quick Drop plugins or JKI RCF plugins... anything that help us program faster and not reinvent the wheel.

We could change the format for the next meeting and have presenters take about 10 minutes presenting some of their favorite tools or "best kept secret". We would have more people presenting and hopefully a list of new tools to add to our toolbox.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Aristos and Darren,

Don't get me started with my configuration VIs horror stories, that is not a good way to start the week   But I too agree with Darren's response

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Speaking of the next meeting... When will it be? If you end up demonstrating tools, I'd like to demonstrate uses of the .Net DataGridView (Sorry mac and linux users.).

Charles

Charles Chickering
Architecture is art with rules.

...and the rules are more like guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Hi Charles,

We are finalizing dates on our end. As soon as I have a date I will post them here.  It is looking like it will be the third week of January.

We would love to have you present.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Charles and Chris,

Do you want to present at the next LabVIEW Architects Forum meeting? It will be on Thursday, January, 19 at 6:00 PM.  If you are available, please let me know what will you be presenting on and how much time do you need. You can send me a private e-mail if you want: fabiola@delacor.com

Darren, I think we can not have a meeting about speeding LabVIEW development without having you present. You are the MASTER at programming LabVIEW at a breakneck speed!.

If anyone else would like to present, please let me know.

Best regards,

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Sure, I'll present. I'd like to present on using .Net controls in LabVIEW, particularly, the DataGridView and the StatusStrip. I think it should take about 15-20 minutes to present but I usually get nervous and start talking New York style so... maybe 7-10 minutes .

Charles

Charles Chickering
Architecture is art with rules.

...and the rules are more like guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,652 Views)

Do you think we can find the guy who created the SVG tools posted on LV to talk about how he did his work to publish a LV front panel as an entirely different architecture and make it update?

http://lavag.org/topic/13777-hello-websocket-and-svg-goodbye-web-ui-builder/

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Support-for-HTML5-and-SVG-in-Web-Publishing-Tool/idi-p...

Similarly, on the NI content day, getting someone from NI to talk about Web UI Builder would be right on topic.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,652 Views)