LabVIEW Communications System Design Suite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Communications becomes unbearbaly slow

Dear all,

i have now worked with Labview Communications 2.0 for several months and one thing that i noticed is that if you really work with it it becomes really slow. I use a system with a quadcore with 16 gig RAM, so I guess this should be not the problem. I want to mention some of the issues, there are several more

• If you have a larger project and you do a trial and error development of FPGA code by creating different versions of the code to figure out which code is the best in terms of e.g. resources then loading the project and the different version of the file takes quite long. I do realize that also that the .lvcodedb file becomes larger but still after deleting the .lvcodedb file it it takes quite long to load the project...
  • Creating BRAM elements in the resources also becomes quite slow. I am e.g. now implemeting multiple BRAM elements with a pre defined fixed value. What i do is i create the BRAM variable, i load the initial value (40000 elements) and rename it. This takes around 1-2 minutes on my system. Why is this so slow? What process runs here in the back?
  • Labview Comms crashes e.g. when i duplicate one of the created BRAM variables, which i don't really understand.
  • It constantly uses CPU resources, even if i am not, programming. I am aware that it dynamically updates the callers of different VIs, but still why is this also the case when I am not programming it. What runs in the back of Labview Communications
  • Also if you work with the frameworks (e.g. 802.11 application framework) it can happen that everything becomes quite slow.

Can somebody maybe comment on this if he has the same experience and some sort of soultion. I would just be interested

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,927 Views)

Hi TomZZ,

Sorry to hear about any stumbling blocks, but this is good feedback and hopefully a good discussion if others have comments. 

We do have some suggestions for managing larger projects and general performance in our manual here:

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview-comms/2.0/manual/working-with-large-projects/

To summarize some of the more relevant tips:

• Consider separating application components into their own projects. You can also separate projects by target type. This will help eliminate some overhead with a single large project.
  • Remove any unused targets (or code) from the project you are actively working in.
  • Reduce the amount of top-level FPGA VIs. Adjust the Build Output from "Bitfile" to "None" on unused FPGA VIs.

Based on your feedback of the BRAM issues, we were able to reproduce your crash and are continuing to investigate further. Also, would you be willing to share your current project so that we can examine other performance issues? If you aren't comfortable with posting here, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks!

David C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,846 Views)

I encountered lagging and hang. Upgrading RAM of PC helps if project cannot be compromised.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,826 Views)