LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and Improved LabVIEW Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit Now in BETA

I didn't know about that double clicking the ribbon tab minimizes it... very nice Eli!

Oh, and just to comment on a few of the new improvements (since the readme is VERY detailed):

Updated User Interface

• Introduce ribbon to replace previous toolbars and menus
  • Fix mouse-wheel bugs

Enhanced Capability to Trace Large Application 

• Allows configuration of message limits and out of limit options to prevent out of memory issues that existed in previous DETT versions.
  • Allows log data to file when tracing
  • Enhance capture settings capability. You can now specify DETT to include/exclude VIs when capturing data.

Usability

• Search bar(Crtl+F) allows searching all text fields in your trace
  • Navigation traces to a VI or any VIs in the call chain

New Features

• Adds compare traces dialog. Allows you to diff between two trace sessions
  • Adds bookmark to trace line number when starting or resuming tracing
Message 11 of 68
(3,061 Views)

reidl wrote:

• Adds compare traces dialog. Allows you to diff between two trace sessions

Hooray!

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 68
(3,061 Views)

I see that User-Defined Trace Events are now listed with "; Integer: #" at the end. That's visual noise to me, since I don't use the integer field in my custom traces. Any way we can get a filter option to leave that part off the Details string? (The more legible the trace list is, the easier the tool is to use.)

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 68
(3,061 Views)

I change the behavior to be consistent to DETT 2012. Thanks for your feedback!

Message 14 of 68
(3,061 Views)

In the "Capture Settings" dialog, how does the "Exclude the following VIs" interface work? Am I expected to type in the fully qualified name of each VI by hand? I can't figure out a way to get a listing of VIs to select from.

What I really need is the ability to easily exclude VIs by selecting them individually or selecting a group of them by a folder on disk, a Project Virtual Folder, a Class, or a Library. (I'm debugging Actor Framework designs and need to filter out events generated by specific actors, as well as events generated by platform/toolkit VIs that support the projects.)

Oh! And checkbox options to exclude traces from VIs in vi.lib and user.lib too.

Being able to paste an LF/CR delimited list of names into the dialog would also be very useful.

Message was edited multiple times by: David_Staab

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 68
(3,061 Views)

You can use wildcards in that window... so you can configure Exclude the following VIs and add an entry for Actor Framework.lvlib:*

We could possibly add a feature (not sure about this version) to have DETT query the LV project you're connected to and asking for all VIs.

Side note:  The filter settings dialog DOES show the list of VIs because this is a post-run operation.  At that point, DETT does know all VIs that have generated trace events and thus, we can display the list of VIs. 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 68
(3,061 Views)

Ah, now I see. Thank you!

The existing functionality works for most of the things I requested. The only feature I would still push for in the current release is a pair of checkboxes to ignore all VIs in <vi.lib> and <user.lib>. For example, my current project uses 7 diferent components and packages in <user.lib> and <addons>. Typing a wildcard phrase for each of them into the dialog is still a bit tedious.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 68
(3,061 Views)

Great, glad it worked.  Also, you may notice "load/save" functionality on the dialog.  You can save those filter settings to use again (in reference to your user.lib request) instead of retyping every time.  We will still file a CAR for that request.  Side note:  I believe we already filter out vi.lib from the trace data.  But perhaps that should also be configurable.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 68
(3,061 Views)

Thanks for the save/load tip. Regarding <vi.lib>, I think you should make it an option because there are toolkits that install to <addons>, and at times I want to watch what a toolkit is doing, too.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 68
(3,061 Views)

Is there a way to tell the DETT to automatically clear and start itself when I begin running a VI (as well as stop itself when all VIs in the context stop running)? My normal workflow is to capture a trace while running, review it afterward, fix some things, then run again. I'd like the tracing to be as automatic as possible so I don't have to remember to manage multiple applications.

(Yes, this is a first-world problem. )

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 68
(3,061 Views)