LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and Improved LabVIEW Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit Now in BETA

Hello,

Could anyone let me know if 64-bit version of DETT is coming along?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 68
(1,600 Views)

Hi Buddy,

No. We don't release DETT in 64 bit binary or for 64 bit LabVIEW.

But actually 32 bit DETT can work for 64 bit LabVIEW even it is not officially supported.

Thanks for interest in DETT.

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 68
(1,600 Views)

Jifan:

Are there plans for NI to certify that the 32-bit DETT is officially supported on 64-bit OS and/or with 64-bit LabVIEW? I understand why we aren't taking the time to re-build and re-kit a separate installer for a 64-bit DETT. But given that the 32-bit *should* work, it would be a major boon to several customers (SJ_Buddy isn't the first one to ask me about this), it would be nice if we could certify that it does work.

-- AQ

Message 63 of 68
(1,600 Views)

I think all NI produced LabVIEW Toolkits officially support 32-bit LabVIEW on 64-bit OS.  The DETT readme calls out the 64-bit OSes it supports running on with 32-bit LabVIEW.  However to date only a couple of toolkit have been made to work with 64-bit LabVIEW.  I assume DETT will officially add support for 64-bit LabVIEW when the decision is made to have all/most of the remaining toolkits support 64-bit LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 68
(1,600 Views)

Hi AQ,

It is great if you can start to fully support 64-bit LabVIEW.

I am surprise that 32-bit Windows 7 can run some serious application. When I started it, 1.8GB of RAM already consumed. So I have only around 1GB left for everything else. I also don't want to run 32-bit LV on 64-bit flatform.

I would like to ask NI to get more serious on supporting 64-bit application. Even cell phones are going 64-bit nowaday.

How can I raise this one priority to NI Development team?

Thanks,

Message 65 of 68
(1,600 Views)

Hey there,

I have used DETT 2013 to trace 64-bit LV just fine.  So although it is not officially supported, the hooks are in place for DETT to establish a connection with 64-bit LV's VI Server (just don't have another LV version running at the same time).

The things that you will be missing in 64-bit LV are:  no "Generate Trace Event" primitive on the palette (you can get around that by creating a VI that has the primitive in 32-bit LV, then loading that VI in 64-bit LV).  Also, the right-click options in the LV Project for "Trace Execution" will not be present.  Other than that, all of DETT works.

Message 66 of 68
(1,600 Views)

I suggest posting to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange on it and encouraging others to give the idea Kudos.  This Idea is close to what you want: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/LabVIEW-64-bit-module-support/idi-p/2323506

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 68
(1,600 Views)

Sorry, I make a mistake on previous reply. DETT supports 64 bit OS offically. But we don't create a DETT installer for LabVIEW 64 bit.

Currently we don't have plan to make DETT installer support 64 bit LabVIEW. I suggest following Kennon's way to push more valuable input to DETT request. If more customers are interesting on that, we will make that happen.

In order to enable the missed functionalities that Reid mentioned, you need to do the following steps:

Prerequisite: Install DETT in 32 bit LabVIEW (the 32 bit LabVIEW version should be the same to 64 bit LabVIEW, probably older 32 bit LabVIEW can work)

1. Enable DETT primitive node in pallete

For LabVIEW 2011 or later -  Copy "\menus\Categories\Programming\_DETT" folder from 32 bit LabVIEW folder to corresponding 64 bit LabVIEW folder

For LabVIEW 2010 - Copy "DETraceTool.mnu" and "NI_DETraceTool_Menu.lvlib" in "\menus\Categories\Programming" folder from 32 bit LabVIEW to corresponding64 bit LabVIEW folder.

2. Enable right click menu in project

-  Copy "\resource\Framework\Providers\ETT" folder from 32 bit LabVIEW folder to corresponding 64 bit LabVIEW folder

-  Copy "\resource\Framework\Providers\GProviders\ExecutionTraceToolkit.ini" file from 32 bit LabVIEW folder to corresponding 64 bit LabVIEW folder

-  Create registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\TraceTool\" and then create a value named "path" with Type REG_SZ and then set its value to DETT installation path (For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit")

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 68
(1,600 Views)