LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arduino/Labview Connection Issues with third party devices (Zumo)

Hello, I am having issues with connectivitity when using LIFA to connect to an Arduino Uno hooked up to Zumo sumo-robot chassis.

The zumo shield connects to every single pin of the Arduino and, using 4 AA batteries, interprets the various pin-outs to control motors/buzzers.

Here is the info about the Zumo shield:

The robot chassis is listed here:
http://www.pololu.com/product/2504

Schematic is listed here:

http://www.pololu.com/file/download/zumo-shield-v1_2schematic.pdf?file_id=0J779

The pin re-assignment is listed here:

http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J57/5

The connectivity issues are as follows.
I will have my robot connected to Arduino correctly, with all COM ports being specified and using the correct board type (Arduino Uno).
From this, I can run the LIFA_Base.ino without problem. After that, I upload my program from LabVIEW that is intended to either read a sensor (from Analog pin 6) or drive motors (direction is controlled by pins 7 and 8, and speed is controlled by PWM writing on pins 9 and 10). If it runs (not all the time) it will run once, and be unable to loop within the program. Once the second loop of the program (or the second attempt to run) happens, there will be an error. The error is different sometimes, but it will always be one of the two listed below:

Error code: -1073807360:

VISA Clear in LabVIEW Interface for Arduino.lvlib:Init.vi->SensorRead.vi

Error 5002 occurred at Init.vi. Unable to establish connection with Arduino. Please ensure that you have selected the correct COM port and that you have flashed the Arduino with the correct firmware.

These two errors will occur until I do the following:

1) Stop any programs that are running

2) Quit labview fully

3) Quit arduino fully
4) Disconnect the arduino
5) Connect the arduino

6) Reset the Arduino

After this, I can run a LabVIEW program one more time, after which it will repeat this problem.

Is there anything I might be doing wrong? I have a hunch that it might have to do with the TX/RX ports being connected all the time, therefore interrupting serial connections

Any help or related experiences would be appreciated. If there is any way I can improve this project (without removing LabVIEW or Arduino, as this is for a LabVIEW-based curriculum) please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,338 Views)

You'll need to post your VI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,690 Views)

Thank you! I'm sorry I forgot to earlier. I have since solved the connection issue. The problem (for future reference should someone stumble upon this page) was that the program would continue running despite an error. The solution was to create a state for each step and have an "error" remove the program from the states and create a pop-up window.

I'm having some issues at the moment with looping sensor collection from analog pins, but I will investigate this much further before posting about it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,690 Views)