LabVIEW Web Development Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I deploy the HTML file generated using LV NXG web vi into cRIO and host it in cRIO?

Experts,

I request some help or suggestions or guidance from the experts in this community.

Background:

I am a CLA, but I am new to LV Web services and LV NXG. I have developed an application for LV cRIO Embedded System that runs well. Typically we use LV software in Windows for User Interface. But for a specific customer, they want to use a Web browser based User Interface (HMI), so they don't have to install LV runtime engine and any other supporting software in PC.

What works - Prototype

What we have done is, added a Web service in cRIO and designed a HTML & a JavaScript (by looking at some examples in NI.com) that is hosted in cRIO, so the customer can use web browser to see the user interface, with no need to pre-install anything except the default web browser installed in that computer. This is done just to prove the idea, but it needs substantial effort to code in HTML & JS for the full user interface, especially for someone new like me.

So far this has been exciting new challenge to work with, but I seem to enjoy more LabVIEW based development than HTML or JS development.

What would be nice?

1. From what I read about NXG, We can design a NXG Web VI that interacts with cRIO webservice to display data or control the application. Then I can save that NXG Web VI into a HTML file. When I open the HTML file in a web browser, I can see the user interface, with no need to install any runtime engine. I haven't done this yet, but from what I read it seems to be true. Can someone please confirm this?

2. If the answer is YES to the 1st question, can I copy that HTML file to cRIO and host it in cRIO, so that I don't need to have that HTML in PC. The idea is, I can bring a new iPhone or iPAD and I should still be able to see the user interface with no need to pre-install or copy anything.

Any help that you can offer, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Raj

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,555 Views)

Hi Raj,

1. Yes, confirmed. That's one of our core benefits of WebVIs over the web technology we've enabled in the past.

2. Once you build the web application in NXG, it gives you output files that you can copy/paste (AKA "host") on the cRIO. Then, as long as your iPhone/iPad can connect to the same network that the cRIO is on and has permission to access the cRIO's web server, then you can open the web page in the browser on the iPhone/iPad without installing any runtimes or copying anything. You'll just want to be careful that whatever your web application is doing isn't interfering with resources that your cRIO needs to run. 

I hope this helps! If you try it out, let us know if you have any feedback. 

Thanks,

Rita Prather
Software Product Manager
rita.prather@ni.com
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,540 Views)
I'm not sure if you want the following demo. I wrote a simple B / S demo, which can be accessed through a browser: http://127.0.0.1:8001/web-test/index.html The main functions are as follows: I. data can be written to the server through the browser, and the server can receive and identify data 2. Data request can be initiated through the browser, the server returns data, the browser parses the data and displays it in the browser.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,483 Views)