LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 bit motion control ready now?

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently upgraded LabVIEW to 2010 64bit. Then it turned out the previous motion control VIs don't function in 2010 64bit version. The error points to the failure to load "FlexMotion32.dll". It makes sense, apparently that DLL file is 32-bit. 

I did a search on ni.com about FlexMotion. This page http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3753 illustrates that "FlexMotion32.dll" is required for the communication between LabVIEW and motion controller board. Tried to find if "FlexMotion64.dll" is available, but it doesn't seem it exist yet. 

So my question is how I can update the motion control to 64 bit. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,408 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MengHuiHanTang

MengHuiHanTang,

Unfortunately there is not a 64-bit version of the NI-Motion software at this time.  The only way to use the NI Motion software is on a 32-bit system.  I apologizes for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Sam K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,367 Views)

Are there any updates on when this may be available?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,231 Views)

Hey Rscconrad,

So it looks like the case is thus: You can use Motion on a 64-bit computer, but you have to use it with 32-bit LabVIEW.

NI-Motion is compatible with 64 bit machines, just not 64-bit LabVIEW.

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 4 of 12
(4,201 Views)

So when will it be available with 64-bit LabVIEW?

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,186 Views)

Ricky, 

It can run on 64-bit PC; but it cannot take the advantages of 64-bit speed and memory. That's the whole purpose. I guess that's what everybody is waiting now. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,170 Views)

MengHuiHanTang,

You are correct, NI Motion can run on a 64 bit machine (useing emulation) with 32-bit LabVIEW but you do not get the extra memory addresses provided by the 64 bit OS.  At this point is is running in an emulated 32-bit environment.

Ian,

There is no ETA for NI Motion x64.  At this point I cannot even confirm that it is in the works.

Please let me know if you have other questions,

Regards,

Sam K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,151 Views)

Sam,

Yes, I do have another question: why not?

NI-Motion is badly in need of some maintenance work.  It has been neglected for many years (ever since NI bought the drivers?) and the number of red coercion dots it produces is shameful.  NI seem to have almost unlimited development resources when it comes to developing yet more shiny new products - why can't a small fraction of that be devoted to maintaining/fixing the ones they already have?

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,128 Views)

Hi Ian

We value your feedback on our NI-Motion Software. We have a limited amount of resources but will take your recommendations into account for the driver. I am sorry that we do not have a 64 bit driver for NI Motion and hope that this does not slow down the development of your latest project. Please let us know anytime you have feedback we are always trying to take into account what our customers need and manage our time according to it.

Thank You
Eric Reid
National Instruments
Motion R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,078 Views)

Eric,

Is there any estimation for the time frame.  We are using ni motion to run a stage for an image application.  We need more memory for rather lengthy line scan processing.  That is why we need 64 bit drivers.

It sounds like I need to find a non NI solution for the motion.  Is that what I am hearing?   The current project is all NI.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,072 Views)