LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquire Input Data.vi does not reset Mouse Scrolling value in Windows 10

If the problem is related to the mouse wheel.....

USB HID inputs can be defined as being relative (1x -1 and then back to zero) or absolute (-1 and then stays there).  This seems to align quite well with what you are experiencing.  I'm not overly familiar with Win10, but maybe there's an option to make the mouse wheel relative as opposed to absolute (if this is the source of the problem).

Does this occur in other programs also?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,073 Views)

Thank you everyone for your time, input and suggestions. I appreciate it. I would like to try out Intaris' suggestions, but they do not seem to be available in Windows 10. Or I am unable to find where to define the USB HID inputs as being relative (1x -1 and then back to zero) or absolute (-1 and then stays there). (I checked HID section in the Device manager, but was unable to find it.)

(I found an option to enable/disable the feature "Scroll Inactive Windows when I hover over them". I tried it out and it did not fix the issue.) 

We did not observe this behavior in any other programs.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,052 Views)

@pbuerki wrote:

Thank you everyone for your time, input and suggestions. I appreciate it. I would like to try out Intaris' suggestions, but they do not seem to be available in Windows 10. Or I am unable to find where to define the USB HID inputs as being relative (1x -1 and then back to zero) or absolute (-1 and then stays there). (I checked HID section in the Device manager, but was unable to find it.)

You're looking in the wrong place.

The 'relative' option is an input of LV's Acquire VI that you're using to read the mouse input.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,039 Views)

Thank you for the clarification, wiebe.

I tried the test VI with the two options (Absolute or Relative), and the observed behavior is the same as before, i.e., scrolling does not stop once started.

In the meantime, I narrowed down the possibilities. On my laptop, which has Win10 Pro version 1903 Build 18362.267 installed, and using the same physical mouse that created the problem on the other PC (with Win 10  Pro version 1803 Build 17134.677), the VI behaves as intended and scrolling resets to 0 after each scroll step.

I was also on the MS message boards and other users experienced similar mouse scroll problems with other programs and repeatedly they were referred to updating their mouse drivers. (Whether or not this fixed their issues was not clear though.)

I thus suspect that my issue is either related to either the Win10 or the mouse driver version. We will look into this next.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,022 Views)

Absolute vs relative is normally part of the device descriptor sent by the hardware so that the OS knows what to do. It might be the hardware (mouse).

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,015 Views)

@pbuerki wrote:

I thus suspect that my issue is either related to either the Win10 or the mouse driver version.

Or a combination of course. I'd expect other applications to have problems too though.

It could be Windows+Driver+LV...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,004 Views)

Oh well, I take my earlier statement back that the mouse scroll is working on Win10 Pro version 1903 Build 18362.267. I upgraded one of our PCs to the same Windows version and the automated scrolling bug just reoccurred. Sometimes the test VI is working fine, and sometimes the scrolling does not stop. I also checked the mouse drivers, and those are up to date. I have not yet found a pattern that always causes the scroll button to malfunction.

In my application, I may end up disabling the functionality of the scroll button, as there exist alternative ways of changing the value of the slider control.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(985 Views)