LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artificial Horizon - 3D Picture Control

Hi

I have made the attached subVI's in order to represent an aircraft ADI ball displaying aircraft pitch & roll.

The program works by wrapping an image around a 3D cylinder and orientating the cylinder as necessary (play with the sliders to see the effect).

The issue i need help with is clearing/preventing the flicker in the image (i have tried removing the compass image, which reduced the problem but didnt fix it) and correctly orientating the cylinder to represent the aircraft pitch and roll.

Can anyone recommend changes to the VI or another method of doing this?

Cheers

Adam

Message 1 of 10
(7,110 Views)

afallon09,

That is excellent!  I'm surprised this post has gone unanswered.  I don't see the flicker that you are referring to.  I am running a Intel Core Dual @2.4GHz, 3.25GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA Quadro FX 560 video card.

In the past I have used the "defer panel updates" to fix graphics artifacts or have read about certain tables flickering that can be fixed with transparent decals.

You may want to search around the forums again under these topics.

Good luck and thanks for sharing,  -SS 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,084 Views)

Hi afallon,

I've tried your ah.vi and me too it gives the flicker problem; have you solved it?

Another question: why do you add 90 to the Roll? and why do you add -50 to the pitch and then you multiply the output to 1.77?

However it's great and it works very well!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,885 Views)
Adam!  Great control!  It looks like if you add a 10ms delay at the end of calculating the transformations the flickers go away.  They are still present when you change yaw, but since there are no flickers in how you presented airspeed, we can use a modified horizontal slider to represent yaw and place it on top of the picture control  Thanks for sharing!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,686 Views)

Hi Adam,

This is a great VI.  I notice that you were also trying to implement a compass and presumably an airspeed tape on the left.  Did you resolve these and would you care to share the VI if you did?  I notice that a lot of people are looking for this type of diplay.

Thanks

Justin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,352 Views)

I'm trying to couple this VI to a freescale accelerometer from sure electronics to give me a real time artifical horizon for my experimental aircraft.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.  b.t.w. I'm not successful.... yet...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,826 Views)

Managed to get it to work.  So as the accelerometer gets tilted the AH follows.  I sample at 200 Hz from the accelerometer so the motion look pretty good. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,801 Views)

Nice! This would make a pretty cool xcontrol. btw, no flicker on my system: Core2Quad Q9550, 8GB, Nvidia Quadro FX 570, Win7-64.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,733 Views)

Hi Guys,

Dont know if you are needing this anymore but I have built up a little example using some little parts from you code. I have uploaded it to the community, and though you all might find it usefull. How ever I dont think I have particularly solved the issue, as it will flicker slightly as I have to correct the Roll transform, befor applying the new pitch transform, So i know why it occours at least. However this flicker is minimal if you enable the fixed camera position.

Anyway take a look and let me know what you think!

Cheers

Richard S
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,694 Views)

For anyone who is interested, the LabVIEW Robotics Module includes an attitude indicator similar to what is being discussed here.

attitude.png

Chris M

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,689 Views)