cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question about local variable and reference label/icon creation order

Solved!
Go to solution

@princelog wrote:

Thank you for the excellent model, but it won't work here.

First, we could not use a LED array, I didn't know what that was before, but for indication and visualization reasons. you could imagine the display we will be using for this application, it is required to use separate LEDs.

Also, your solution is specifically complex, no offense, to introduce for undergraduate interns within 20min and make sure they fully understand.

Please do not teach bad programming practices to students. They are a nightmare to work with once they hit the real world because they bring all these bad habits along and need to be retaught. When teaching new people every effort should be made to teach best practices, not poor design choices. I assure you, your application could be done in a much cleaner way and still be basic enough to use as a teaching tool.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 11 of 27
(756 Views)

Hey Mark,

How do teach students are the call of educators, not yours, appreciated you enthusiasm.

I will make sure I update when our facility is open to all enthusiast, and then you will be able to learn something fresh.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(749 Views)

I do appreciate your enthusiasm in my program, however, it seems that you and your friend can not agree with each other, that's exactly what we want to avoid during education. Your enthusiasm is highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(740 Views)

@princelog wrote:

I do appreciate your enthusiasm in my program, however, it seems that you and your friend can not agree with each other, that's exactly what we want to avoid during education. Your enthusiasm is highly appreciated.

Fundamentally  altenbach and I do not disagree. We have a differing approaches to the implementation and both are valid. I presented reasons why I prefer OOP over an action engine. Insisting on running 100s of wires through your code as the only viable solution is extremely closed minded.

In addition, you are still being very disrespectful and insulting. I have been more then generous is sharing my experience and trying to educate you on best programming practices. Which is exactly what this forum is for. I am always open to learning new things. I continually seek out alternatives and new methodologies for doing things. However, I also have enough experience and knowledge to recognize extremely poor solutions.

You know absolutely nothing about me or my experience yet continually infer I know nothing. There is no need to be insulting and disrespectful.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 14 of 27
(727 Views)

Dear Trusted Enthusiast, your enthusiasm is highly appreciated, however, the rest of the information is of less value for us, and I feel sorry for this situation.

If you think anyone in this thread is not behaving properly, please use corresponding tools to stop it, including yourself.

Don't worry, you will finally be able to take a look at our application, and we will educate you about all that you need to learn about us.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(718 Views)

Rule #1: Lets criticize code, not people!

There are always several valid and excellent ways to solve a problem (as well as some bad ones). You can assume that anyone with lots of gold on their profile will give good advice. Experienced programmers don't disagree, but we have spirited discussions. Classes might have a slightly higher initial barrier.

Since you did not share any of your code (maybe out of embarrassment!!!), we can only infer a reasonable solution based on limited information and educated guesses. We can also point out land mines in your current approach that you can either acknowledge or ignore. You talk about 10000 individual  LEDs, so spending only seconds on each would take hours!

That's all I have to say. Please don't respond with meaningless off-topic philosophical chatter. No adjectives please.

Everybody have a nice weekend!

Message 16 of 27
(699 Views)

Thank you for your enthusiasm, NI Knight, but still, you are not answering my direct question, so please allow me ignore your response.

Barriers or not, that is OK for us, but our facility is complex so there are other concerns. Both of you, whenever I shoot out a bit more information that your previous solution won't work, you start to call my code wrong, that is ridiculous.

I am just asking questions, and people with answer would be welcomed, you can stop responding if you like, but I won't, since I started the thread, I'd also like to conclude it.

It's OK for me to continue, since it's also a language practicing / communicating example that I can show to interns, about what they should expect out there.

That's all I have to say. Please don't respond with meaningless off-topic philosophical chatter. No adjectives please.

Message 17 of 27
(692 Views)

@princelog wrote:

... what is the logic behind the order of created local variable and reference label/icons?

OK, here's a direct answer to your only direct question:

There is no logic behind the order!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(681 Views)

There are lots of way of doing what you want, everyone has their preferences…

Here is a more advanced implementation with a main VI that starts N asynchronous tasks.

Each task has its independent state machine running in parallel and the main VI has a simple event structure that listens for user interaction and continuously displays the tasks states on a Multicolumn Listbox (which is more user friendly than arrays and booleans in my opinion).

Also, the states are shared through a Functional Global Variable (similar to an Action Engine):

raphschru_0-1684525353379.png

Check the attached project,

Regards,

Raphaël.

PS: In your first response you said "I'd like to learn a better way to do this." so I am a bit confused why the conversation turned out like this. Let's all be humble and listen to each other's arguments.

Message 19 of 27
(670 Views)

I think you are saying you don't know.

Again, thank you for your enthusiasm, but I will be waiting for others who might have some real insight.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(659 Views)