LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question about local variable and reference label/icon creation order

Solved!
Go to solution

Thank you Raphaël, as you are trying to help.

Whatever you or others have come up with will partially satisfy my needs, but will not be able to get everyone, without previous experience with LabVIew, understood in 20min.

We have achieved what we need, we just want to learn more about how the automatic created is organized, for example, if you add a space before your variable number, it will automatically grow if you copy and paste, this kind of handy tips will be the first class to teach, while keep our facility running smoothly. Those versions you and others trying to provide, will be very hard to debug, and as you might have seen in my other thread, higher level operation is not as reliable as it self claims. ("Delimited Spreadsheet Write" doesn't really close the file in windows), so we try to avoid complex codes, such as global variable, classes, etc.

For us, the goal is simple, we need something massive, reliable, easy to convey and maintain, and meet our display needs. We also want to guide others dong similar things through remote techniques, if they are not experts in LabView and don't have good vision but is willing to learn, we want to make sure that what they copied and pasted will be the very same thing. And for grading reasons, we also like them all use same variable names.

If you all agree, I'd like to capture some of your reply as an example for our spin of project in the engineering education project, but for our major project, your solution doesn't fit.

More solutions are always welcome, but don't say our solution is wrong, it is working and easy to convey to zero-experience people in 20min, as we are fighting hard for some under-represented group to secure a better technology-oriented job. What you all is suggesting is like level-10 for them, for the first class, we need to show them some easier business, and also make them amazed by what achieved, thus we need to really use their codes, and we expect zero error in there, so it's a risky engineering education program for minors, do you still want me to convey your solution in the LabView 101?

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(838 Views)

Sometimes it's in the correct order, sometimes it's in the reversed order, sometimes it's in the random order.

I am trying to learn the condition for these different situations, isn't it a little bit rude to say something with big font without respect, and is also wrong? I do appreciate your enthusiasm.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(832 Views)

Quit feeding the troll.....

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 23 of 27
(825 Views)

You shouldn't abandon your family like that.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(812 Views)

@princelog wrote:

More solutions are always welcome, but don't say our solution is wrong, it is working and easy to convey to zero-experience people in 20min, as we are fighting hard for some under-represented group to secure a better technology-oriented job. What you all is suggesting is like level-10 for them, for the first class, we need to show them some easier business, and also make them amazed by what achieved, thus we need to really use their codes, and we expect zero error in there, so it's a risky engineering education program for minors, do you still want me to convey your solution in the LabView 101?

This will be last response to you. I appreciate your desire to teach others and prepare them for the real world. You are talking about helping interns. That is good. But the real world is not always easy or kind. I can assure you my company would not hire anyone who demonstrates programming techniques such as you have been describing. As altenbach said we can only infer what your code actually looks like since we haven't seen any. Based on your descriptions though I suspect it is not well written, designed or organized. Quick and dirty is generally not a good thing. You also say your system is complex. Do you really want a complex application to be designed poorly? Would you build a house without blue prints? I am a firm believer that is it better to take the time to teach someone properly than to show them ill conceived designs in the name of ease. A well written, well designed piece of code should be relatively easy for someone with little experience to get the general idea of what the application does. They may not understand the details of how some things are done but they will be able to get the general idea.

If the people your are teaching are as inexperienced as you indicate then even your example is not the right place to start. You keep saying it is complex. If they need to learn from the ground up then start at the basics and build from there.

Again, if you are trying to prepare them for the real world then make sure they are truly prepared. If someone was applying for a position with my organization and demonstrated the techniques you have been describing, they would not get the position. Something to consider.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 25 of 27
(794 Views)

I do hope you learned how to keep your promise, as this will be your last response.

"But the real world is not always easy or kind." Yes, I learned that from some of you, no offense.

"I can assure you my company would not hire anyone who demonstrates programming techniques such as you have been describing." We are a facility, not company, and your suspect is neither reasonable nor friendly, practice makes it better.

"Quick and dirty is generally not a good thing." We are dealing with minors, so "generally" doesn't work here. Also I'll have to report this since your called our code dirty, is this representing the real world? Thanks.

"You also say your system is complex. Do you really want a complex application to be designed poorly?"

I said it's massive, and your solution, I mean from the enthusiasts are complex.

"Would you build a house without blue prints?" Yes if the people trying to build a house is blind.

"I am a firm believer that is it better to take the time to teach someone properly than to show them ill conceived designs in the name of ease." This is another point to report, and it is apparent how your solutions are actually dirty and messy. 

"If the people your are teaching are as inexperienced as you indicate then even your example is not the right place to start." Again, it's not your call, we've got real expert on this.

"You keep saying it is complex. If they need to learn from the ground up then start at the basics and build from there." I said it's massive, and your solution is complex.

"Again, if you are trying to prepare them for the real world then make sure they are truly prepared." How could minor people ever be fully prepared, they are always under-represented and lacks resources, that's need special programs.

"If someone was applying for a position with my organization and demonstrated the techniques you have been describing, they would not get the position. Something to consider." I am very happy to learn that our interns won't need to work with you, it's more than a bless.

They are being super welcome in terms of job hunting, my context is very extreme and special, so if you don't have the answer to my question, stop judging it, it's rude and reflect your top level of education, for sure.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(782 Views)
Solution
Accepted by princelog

Hi all,

Locking this thread as it got sidetracked. 

-Jenny

Message 27 of 27
(776 Views)