LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BridgeVIEW engine not launching Lookout Protocol Driver

I am upgrading my Windows NT system to Windows 2000. I installed all the required software, including BridgeVIEW 2.1.1 and the Lookout Protocol Drivers. I use only Modbus to communicate with my PLC.
After finishing the software tuneup and having the system working fine under the "Administrator" account, I created an "operator" account (users group) and started the system and BV under this new user.
The surprise is that apparently the BridgeVIEW engine is not starting the Lookout Protocol Drivers. Actually, it looks as if BridgeVIEW does not want to use it at all, because even when I start the Lookout Protocol Drivers manually, BridgeVIEW can not see it, and does not use it to communicate with the PLC.
If I us
e the Server Explorer, I can communicate with the PLC even under the "operator" account.
I tried giving the "operator" account administrative rights, but that did not change a thing.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,657 Views)
Lookout Protocol Drivers (4.5) and BridgeVIEW 2.11 work together on Windows 2000.

Make Sure
1) A Valid Default LPD file is set in the Lookout Protocol Drivers (Options>>System)
2)Also, you can make sure your OPC proxy is registered by going to the BridgeVIEW directory then to _Servers\OPC Proxy folder and running the Register OPC Proxy.vi
Joji
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,657 Views)
Thanks for your answer.
Probably I did not clarify this point: under the administrator account, everything works fine. The Lookout Protocol Drivers are called by BridgeVIEW in automatic, and the modbus.lpd file (which I defined previously) is used by default. The system was under test for two weeks in the field (Windows 2000 using the administrator account).
Yesterday I took the PXI controller offline, and right now I can´t try your suggestions; I will check those points as soon as possible, but I believe that is just OK based in my description, ¿right?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,657 Views)
If that is the case I would check your DCOM settings.
Here are the basic steps for DCOM. The administrator has access by default by other users may not.

Server computer (NT/2000/XP):

Select Start>>Run and enter dcomcnfg.
Go to the Default Properties tab. Make sure Enable Distributed COM on this computer is checked. Use the following combinations of Authentication and Impersonation options depending on the level of security that you desire:
(None) + Anonymous (no security checking)
Connect + Identify (verification only on the initial connection)
Call + Identify (security check on every call during connection)
(For a better understanding of these different options, use the Help button located on the top right corner of the dcomcnfg window).
Click the Apply button to save these changes.
Go to the Default Security tab. You must make sure that the user who will log on to the client computer has all the necessary permissions. Click on Edit Default in each of the three permission options and grant the specific user the Allow access, Allow Launch and Full Control permissions.
Note 1: If you choose Everyone in each of the three default permissions, a minimal level of security is provided and the remote OPC server will be accessible to all users on your network.
Note 2: Because Default Security applies to all applications, the user gains control over all of them. If you want to grant the user permission for a specific application only, don't modify the Default Security. Instead, use application-level security discussed in the next steps.
Click the Apply button to save these changes.
In the above steps you have specified default settings for all applications. Now go to the Applications tab. Select the remote OPC server which you wish to launch. Click on the Properties button:
a) On the General tab select Default for authentication level, discussed in step 2 above (choose a different authentication level if you want a different authentication level specifically for this application).
b) On the Location tab check Run application on this computer.
c) On the Security tab check Use default permissions for all three permission options. Select custom permissions only if you want to set specific permission options for the particular application you have chosen (see Note 2 above).
d) On the Identity tab you can specify which user�s security context will be used to run the application. The interactive user refers to the user who has logged on to the server computer. The launching user refers to the user who has logged on to the client computer.
e) Click the Apply button to save these changes. Then click the OK button.
Click the OK button to close dcomcnfg.
Reboot your computer so that the new DCOM settings take effect.
Verify User Access Permissions. See below link Setting Proper Access for Remote OPC Server When Using National Instruments OPC Clients.

Also here something for Remote OPC and BridgeVEIW.
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/64E0E00F7A48D15C8625680800692078?OpenDocument
Joji
Message 4 of 5
(2,657 Views)
Thank you very much. I will try this ASAP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,657 Views)