cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken FPGA VI but error list empty

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

I am trying to run a vi which includes an "Open FPGA VI reference" function. However, an error appears and it is stated that "FPGA VI not compiled". When I try to compile the FPGA VI a message saying "The VI is broken" appears. I try to run the FPGA and when the error list appears, there is no error or warnings at all in the list, alhough the name on the fpga includes the red "X" ("show warnings" is checked). Any help? 

I am using Labview 2013. 

Pablo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,559 Views)

Hi,

Is the run arrow on the FPGA VI broken?

On the 'Open FPGA VI Reference" function have you configured it to run using a VI or a bitfile from a pre compiled VI?

Darren.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,519 Views)

Hi

The arrow is broken. The "Open FPGA VI Reference" function is configured to run using the fpga.vi I cannot understand why the error list is empty and why the vi is broken, when evertything in the code is fine apparently. I can make some screenshots if necessary.

Thanks

Pablo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,514 Views)

I assume that all the hardware is configured correctly in the project window and the project itself is an FPGA project?

Have you tried running the FPGA on the development computer to see if this runs, thus eliminating any hardware issues?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,510 Views)

If I remove my fpga.vi from the target (PXI system) and created and new fpga.vi EMPTY in it, it runs without problem. If i try to build the original fpga.vi, the message "The VI is broken" appears.

The project was originally created with labview 2012. Now it is run in 2013, but no errors are visible in the block diagram. My idea is create a copy of the original fpga.vi and start deleting code, till i can run the vi. If it is possible to run compile an empty fpga.vi can I assume there are no hardware errors?

Thanks 

Pablo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,503 Views)

Hi

After a fight, I realized where is the problem located. Attached there are some files. The image shows a sequence structure, where if I delete the last column, the VI becomes "compilable" (the broken arrow disappears). However, when I try to compile, the system completely crashes and labview is closed automatically. The error reports are also attached. Any idea of how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Pablo

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,480 Views)
Solution
Accepted by pabgarva

Hi Pablo,

Sorry for my delay in replying, have you managed to get the FPGA.vi complied yet?

To answer your questions, if the project is ok with a blank FPGA.vi then in theory your hardware is configured ok. However due to the vi being blank you haven't tried to use any of the modules on your system so this could introduce errors. My most common mistake is the Scan Mode/FPGA mode differentiation when setting the project up in the first place. Also be aware that not all FPGA targets support everything, for example some don't like For loops that use an index to calculate the number of iterations rather than a constant wired to the 'N' input.

Out of curiosity, why do you place each measurement into the DMA individualy and also specify the address? Is there a reason you don't just place all the measurements into an array and pass the whole thing into the DMA, then split the array at the other end?

As a general rule I don't think incorrect programming should ever cause LabVIEW to crash and you should always report the issue to NI so they can have a look and see if they can fix it.

Hope you managed to get your problem sorted and sorry again for the late reply.

Darren.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,404 Views)

Thanks Darren 🙂

I solved the problem. I do not know why, but seems that opening v12 project in v13 produced some kind of error in that structure. I re-did it again and works. It is strange...

Regarding your question, It is part of a engine management code but anyways we did it like that in the beggining and that's what we have been using, but as it is just a sequence of data buffers it is not necessary to include those sequences. 

Thanks! 

Regards, 

Pablo

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,398 Views)

Excellent!

I will bear the v12 and v13 issue in mind for the future.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,394 Views)