LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I extract VI's from LLB and put them in a project to run unit test on them in labview?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently working on niDMM driver, and it doesn't have a .lvproj file but LLB file which contains the subvi's. Now, I need to run Unit test on those VIs and I am not sure how to do it? Can someone explain this step by step?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(151 Views)

Hi tan,

which kind of "unit test" do you want to run with hardware driver VIs?

Btw. did you try to handle this LLB using the LLBManager (in the Tools menu)?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(133 Views)

It's part of my assignment to build VI for pxi 4065. And run Unit test on all of its SubVI. 

Will I be able to test these VI's using LLB manager. Could u please break this down for me?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(127 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tan0709

Hi tan,

the LLBManager is a tool to manage LLBs. You can:

• add VIs to a LLB
  • define "top-most" VIs
  • move VIs out of a LLB (or delete them)

Once you moved the VIs out of the LLB you can do anything you like with those VIs…

Recommendation: move all VIs inside this LLB into a folder of the same name as the LLB. NI did this for many of their own LLBs (as can be seen in VI.lib).

Question: do you really need to "unit test" subVIs of the hardware driver? Which kind of test do you want to apply on them?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 5
(122 Views)

As Gerd already mentioned "unit test" may not be the right term of what you want to do. Unit tests are typically testing the functionality of software libraries and functions without relying on external hardware. It's to test that the software modules perform as needed, and to have a reconfirmation after you modified the modules, that they still perform as before. External hardware dependencies makes unit tests very brittle to develop and use. You are more likely doing a functional test or a system test.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(88 Views)