LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA for Analog Devices AD5933 impedance meter error on NI-VISA driver wizard

I am getting the following message when I press Finish button in NI-VISA driver wizard: VISA error has occured that has prevented the driver from being installed on this computer. One reason for this error may be because you lack the proper priveleges to install this driver. You may need to log in as an administartor to complete this operation

This is my first attempt to use VISA. I would be gratefull for any help.

49673d55-7add-4193-9a69-b911cd2f567c.png

I would like to create an interface for an impedance meter based on Analog Devices AD5933EBZ evaluation board.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(160 Views)

Hi Sergey,

@Sergey(PSU) wrote:

I would like to create an interface for an impedance meter based on Analog Devices AD5933EBZ evaluation board.

Which communication port and protocol is used?

(Do you really need the VISA Wizard?)

@Sergey(PSU) wrote:

I am getting the following message when I press Finish button in NI-VISA driver wizard: VISA error has occured that has prevented the driver from being installed on this computer. One reason for this error may be because you lack the proper priveleges to install this driver. You may need to log in as an administartor to complete this operation

Is the driver signed so Windows accepts it for installation?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(155 Views)

It is connected via USB port.

I can see the device in Device Manager but not in a Labview when I open for example in Visa Interactive control.

I am trying to use one of the tutorials  to get it recognized.

Probably I am doing something unnecessary?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(133 Views)

To sign the driver I need inf2Cat tool.

It does not exist on my PC. I have tried to download it from Microsoft but could not find version of Windows SDK corresponding to my OS.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(130 Views)

Hi Sergey,

@Sergey(PSU) wrote:

It is connected via USB port. I can see the device in Device Manager…

How does it look like in DeviceManager? (Please share a screenshot…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(118 Views)

Do you have an USB protocol description for that device? Without that, your use of the Instrument Driver Wizard to try to communicate with the device on USB Raw level is doomed anyways and just a waste of time. And even if you have a proper protocol description it is quite a different experience to develop a driver for such a device than other instrument communication over serial, GPIB or Ethernet connections. It is generally binary based and you need to deal with things like USB endpoints, Bulk and Interrupt transfers and if it uses isochronous transfers for high speed data transfer it is not possible, since VISA USB Raw does not support that at all.

The AD5933 chip itself uses an I2C interface. The Evaluation board then has some USB to I2C converter on board and this seems to be the Cypress Semiconductors CY7C68013 chip. That chip has an integrated 8051 microprocessor that can be loaded with its own firmware, so the actually used USB protocol is whatever the firmware (most likely from Analog Devices developed for this specific Evaluation board) implements. Most likely you won't be able to get the full protocol description from Analog Device, and without such a document, any attempt to develop a communication driver through VISA USB Raw is pretty much a waste of time. You would have to reverse engineer the protocol and reimplement it.

Instead you should probably use the software that comes with the Evaluation Kit. Maybe it is possible to interface to the DLL used in that software if you can find a document describing its interface.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(115 Views)

AD5933-2.png

That how it looks in Device Manager

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(102 Views)

I will take a look at what you have said. I really hope that documentation is good enough to get it working.

The colleague who gave me this board mentioned that in the past one of his students already created some application for it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(101 Views)