LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can custom conditional disable symbols have multiple values?

Can custom conditional disable symbols have multiple values? 

If they can, then how are additional values defined?

If they cannot, then what value are they?

When I try to assign a second value to a custom symbol using the symbol/value definition window under project properties, I get a "Symbol already definded" message and my attempt is ignored.

The one example I found here

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9853/en

does not show multiple multiple values associated with a single custom symbol so it is no help in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,558 Views)

At any given time, the conditional disable symbol can have only one value and this value is defined in  project properties.

However you can define multiple cases for the conditional case structure depending on the values. The value which is set in the project properties, will be the case that will be executed.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,552 Views)

@Javed_H wrote:

At any given time, the conditional disable symbol can have only one value and this value is defined in  project properties.

This is not correct for the pre-defined symbols as can be seen below. Are you saying that for the CUSTOM symbols, at the time they are defined, there can only be one value?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,541 Views)

@WNM wrote:

@Javed_H wrote:

This is not correct for the pre-defined symbols as can be seen below. Are you saying that for the CUSTOM symbols, at the time they are defined, there can only be one value?

I think you misunderstood what Javed_H was saying.  The symbol is basically a variable.  It can only be set to a single value at a time.  The chart you are showing given possible values for the symbols, but it can only be set to one of those values.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,537 Views)

The pre-defined symbols change automatically based on the hardware and software. But at any time they have exactly one value. The table just lists the possible values.

For user defined symbols you can change the value, but same thing, exactly one value at any time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,535 Views)

I had been trying to define the symbol and its possible values at the Project/Properties level, as per the suggestion in the LabVIEW help that said to do it there. But I see now that the definition of symbols can also take place at the individual target/properties level too.

So on target "A" I can use symbol "X" and define it with a value of "1".

I can then go to target "B" in the same project and again use symbol "X" and this time assign it a value of "2". 

I thought that the project/porperties level of definition was a single place to assign all possible values to a given symbol for all targets within the project. I guess in fact the project/properties level definitions of symbols/variables are used to distinguish one project from another.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,527 Views)