cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control an event in one executible from another executible

Solved!
Go to solution

Looking for some ideas from the experts:

I want to create two executibles, one is a image capture application (App1)  and the other (App2) is specific to a test we are performing.  What  I want to be able to do is trigger my image capture event (or change the status of a boolean) in App1 from App2.  App1 needs to be a standalone executible as it is used for many other test that we perform.  App2 could be may different applications that are written for a specific test.  Both applications will be running on the same computer.  As I am the delveloper of the applications I can add whatever is needed to make this work.

Thanks

Terry Sopkow

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,857 Views)

Talking between application instances is definately a challenge.  The simplest way I have heard was to use TCP/IP to communicate between the applications.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,851 Views)

@Terry_S wrote:

Looking for some ideas from the experts:

I'm no expert, but:

Why don't you just set up App1 so it can be called as a subVI from App2, and a second variation as an executable, with wires to the inputs for App1 and user-input controls on the executable (or however you need to get input in both cases). As long as they get the same answers from the same inputs, what's the problem?

As I am the delveloper of the applications I can add whatever is needed to make this work.

Add salt to taste and serve warm, with red wine.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,850 Views)

Since a simple boolean value passed between applicaitions on the same PCs all you need a single process shared variable.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 11
(2,839 Views)

I'm not an expert either....

If you want simple, write to a text file in the temp directory.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,824 Views)

Like this:

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,819 Views)

Avast AV blocked this file when I opened zip.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,815 Views)

1. Interprocess communication is simplest done by a textfile, although it requires polling of a directory or use of systemevent to register dir-change.

2. Network shared variables is easy to implement but doesn't feel as open and expandable as the 3rd option. (It also lends itself to polling, but should probably be the most fitting in this case)

3. TCP/IP send commands between any and all programs and from any language.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,807 Views)

Sorry to bother you Paul, but could you save this for Version 11.

Thanks

Terry

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,798 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry_S

Oops.  That original .zip file had an old invalid version of the .lvproj file.

Here it is with the correct .lvproj, and downconverted to LV11.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 10 of 11
(2,777 Views)