LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross development with VI Server (LV8.6)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to move a legacy project from LV 7.1 to 8.6.1. This is a distributed system using VI server to move data by calling a receiving VI on the other machine via VI server. Both partners are running on different PC's under Windows.
I am doing development with separate LV-development licenses on both computers. Both will be eventually moved to executables.

Being new to VI server, I noticed, that when I start the main VI outside of the project, the exported VI's are recognized. When I start the main VI from the project as I would normally do the VI's are not visible to a local standalone VI or the remote computers.
This may be because the project is an application instance of its own, but when I try to activate the option VI-server-TCP for "My-computer" with the port being 3363. I get an error "port in use".

Which leads to the next question, how do executables communicate via VI server. Do I have to specify an explicit "Application". 

The Vi server may be finally set aside for performance in the new make, but it would be nice to know how to handle such a set up.

Thanks, Gabi

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,450 Views)

When you open a VI server reference you can select the port to use. Normally this is 3363, so when you have two projects listening you will have a port conflict.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,440 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GabbyG

The problem is really that you have two instances of VI-Server.
1. Outside of the project, accessible via the tool->options on the project's menue bar.
2. Inside of the project, accessible via the properties of "My computer".

If you enable the outside with the standard port 3363 you cannot enable the same port on the inside.

A bit confusing is also that you cannot see the actual set of published accessible VIs in any of the list. Best is to do that programmatically via properties of the Application-> Server.

Cheers
Gabi

Message Edited by Gabi Tillmann on 11-17-2009 03:29 AM
7.1 -- 2013
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,399 Views)